Engine to flush or not to flush?

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Engine to flush or not to flush?

Post  MGs on Sat Apr 09, 2011 5:25 pm

Now that the Elf is back on the road, I thought it would be nice to give the engine a bit of attention. Adjust the carbs, fix a float chamber leak, fix a small radiator leak and a bit of a service. Having removed the oil filter and found it almost completely clogged (almost the consistency of grease) and removed the sump drain plug, to find the magnet with a ball of crud the size of a marble attached. I was wondering if it was worth flushing the engine when I do the change. I have heard that in older engines this can dislodge old dirt and cause blockages and poor running. My other option would be to change the oil a couple of times in short succession, any thoughts?

Whilst I am on the oil theme. There seems to be an oil leak at the back of the engine, somewhere underneath near the gear linkages. I can't
see for sure without getting it up on ramps, not an option at present. Is this a common area for leaks and if so what is it likely to be?

Cheers
MGs

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Engine to flush or not to flush?

Post  Red Riley on Sat Apr 09, 2011 9:42 pm

Personally I would do a couple of oil and filter changes and run the car a good bit to loosen things up and let the filter catch the dirt rather than jump in and do a flush right off.

Click here to see my latest project! . . . . . . . . . . . . . .Click on the banner above to see my photo gallery.
Red Riley
Admin

View user profile http://smartgraphicmedia.com/

Back to top Go down

Post  Nick on Sun Apr 10, 2011 3:08 pm

I would also check the oil pressure release valve, check the spring length and remove the valve bit itself, they can jam in the block with swarf.

Nick

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Engine flush

Post  MGs on Sun Apr 10, 2011 5:03 pm

Thanks guys, I'll be on it in the morning when the filter arrives. I'll draw out the relief valve (good idea, given the muck on the drain plug).

I'll give it a couple of thousand miles and do it again.
MGs

View user profile

Back to top Go down

leak

Post  Zef on Sun Apr 10, 2011 9:01 pm

The oil leak is common in that area. It's most probably from where the shifter shaft comes out the gearbox. It'll be a small oil seal.
Zef

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Leak

Post  MGs on Mon Apr 11, 2011 9:48 am

Thanks I'll check it out
MGs

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Oil changed

Post  MGs on Tue Apr 12, 2011 10:34 am

Pulled out the relief valve, nothing untoward. New filter installed, will give it a run for a month or so and give it another change.
MGs

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  cheleker on Tue Apr 12, 2011 5:29 pm

As expensive as oil is, it is cheaper than engine rebuilds. I wouldn't run it a month. Based on your descripition, I wouldn't run it more than an hour the first oil and filter change.

cheleker

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Flush

Post  MGs on Tue Apr 12, 2011 7:25 pm

The engine hasn't been rebuilt it has just been stood for a while and not been serviced for a while
MGs

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Zef on Tue Apr 12, 2011 8:57 pm

To be honest if it were me I would do the following.

Run the engine gently up to temperature. Let it get good and warm. Then remove the rocker cover and check that oil is running along the rocker shaft. I've had naff oil pressure screw up a rocker shaft so it's worth checking. If you're getting a good flow of oil when the oil pressure is likely to be at its lowest then you probably don't have too much to worry about.

Very Happy

Last edited by Zef on Tue Apr 12, 2011 8:58 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : bloody spelling....I blame the keyboard myself. :D)
Zef

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Flush

Post  MGs on Wed Apr 13, 2011 12:06 pm

Zef

Thanks, I'll give it a go at the weekend, too busy now. I was going to take the rocker cover off for a clean anyway, there has been a small amount of condensation on the cap
MGs

View user profile

Back to top Go down

No flush

Post  MGs on Tue Apr 19, 2011 10:24 pm

Fixed the leak, just a couple of slightly loose bolts.

Finally had time to remove the rocker cover. Condensation problem probably caused by a blocked breather tube, now cleared,
aren't pipe cleaners great. What will we do when they ban smoking

There is a steady drip drip from each of the rocker posts (nice clean oil) so it looks like there are no major problems

Thanks for all of the advice.
MGs

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top