Would you pay this price for this car?

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Would you pay this price for this car?

Post  Red Riley on Fri Jan 23, 2009 6:08 pm

Ebay Elf
Okay, so here's the kind of goings on we have to deal with in the USA. I've had a look at this car, and while it is a nice clean, rust-free car (by UK standards, for certain) is it worth this much money?

Click here to see my latest project! . . . . . . . . . . . . . .Click on the banner above to see my photo gallery.
Red Riley
Admin

View user profile http://smartgraphicmedia.com/

Back to top Go down

Re: Would you pay this price for this car?

Post  catmint on Fri Jan 23, 2009 9:05 pm

about £6k ish - ouch. in a word no, well certainly not in the UK I reckon about £3.5 to 4K for a concourse one, may be about £2K for it - personally I think minis ( used in the generic sense for all the variants) are well over priced, the number of times people have said "Ohh and old mini, it must be worth a fortune now" grrrrrr . Sorry just a bit of a bug bear of mine. I think that ebay does tend to find a current market value for items when they can be bid upon, just watch how much stuff never reaches the reserve because of the latter comment. Will be interesting to see what it goes for. I notice it is a right hooker, so I imagine it will be a recent import

Gordon

catmint

View user profile http://www.catmint.biz

Back to top Go down

Post  TONYELF on Sat Jan 24, 2009 12:58 am

My insurance company has agreed £3500 pay out value on mine based on a few photograhs and a few invoices but I have a feeling from comments from other people I should have quoted probably £4500 so I agree with Gordon it is overpriced.

TONYELF
Admin

View user profile http://www.miniaddicts.co.uk

Back to top Go down

Post  miniswede on Sat Jan 24, 2009 1:11 am

this is the money we are talking about for a very good car. try too renovate and old mini/Riley and you will see the cost, we are talking big money if you make it as new, just a good paint cost 1500-2000 pound in Sweden. I have just finished welding my pickup and its ready for paint and the cost up to now is about 6000 pound. I think the pickup will cost me about 10000-11000 pound when its finished and the Riley will properly cost 6000-7000 pound to finish
miniswede

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  hilbert on Sat Jan 24, 2009 1:18 am

a good prices that is dificult to say

tree months ago there sold here a complete restord riley from 1965 for about 8500 euro
that sounds much but when jou are self restoring a car
and count al the bills at the and you don't can do it for that money.
i'am al ready over the 10.000 euro and dit not have the bill for the rebuilt of the engine

i personly would say £5k as it is really a hard origanal car than you have no bad deal
but it is wat the crazzy man would pay for it

they are in the netherland classic prices catalog for a concourse one for 7.500 euro

hilbert

hilbert

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  TONYELF on Sat Jan 24, 2009 1:57 am

If I had paid for the welding (for which I had been quoted £1/cm) and paid for preparing for respray (which I did myself) I guess I would not have had much change out of £7000! affraid
Some claim their car has not been welded at all (hard to believe) I suppose others are willing to paid for that as the car would be original.

A piece of coal is worth £1000 if someone is prepared to pay that. Yes? affraid

TONYELF
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  evmck on Sat Jan 24, 2009 2:00 am

I'd agree it does sound a lot and while the car is nice it isn't perfect. I know from the amount that I have spent so far on Henry's restoration that he will never be worth what he costs to restore and these wee cars have to be seen as more of a labour of love than a sound financial investment. Yes I could have had a brand new car for the price I have spent so far affraid but it is the love of the car and the marque that makes me continue.
evmck

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  TONYELF on Sat Jan 24, 2009 2:06 am

You sound like a Pixie in love with an Elf Laughing

Agreed all the same. It was the fact that it was an Elf when it was offered to me that I accepted it. Had it been a mini I may not have jumped in with both feet!

TONYELF
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top