Seized Engine

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Seized Engine

Post  Jono_h on Thu Jun 09, 2011 10:56 pm

Well, I was hopng my first post would be in the New Members section, with pictures of my new project "Little Car". If you want to see any pictures just look at Al's 69 Elf thread in the For Sales -I was lucky enough to get it.

Anyway car arrived today, and I was desperate to get it running. Stumped by a seized engine. I've tried towing it down the drive in gear and taken the bell housing off and tried turn it with a breaker bar but no joy.

It's been sat for 25 years, so I'm sure its lack of use seized rather than run with no oil seized.

Any quick and dirty tricks? I really don't want to have to pull the engine, because I don't think I'll be able to get it runnng for this summer.

Ta, Jon.

Jono_h

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Seized Engine

Post  Zef on Fri Jun 10, 2011 12:41 am

Warm oil poured in through the spark plug hole is what I've been told before....not tried it though.
Zef

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Big_Al_Smith on Sat Jun 11, 2011 4:34 am

sorry to hear that - didn't know about the engine otherwise i'd have mentioned it before . here's hoping it'll free off and be ok Embarassed
Big_Al_Smith

View user profile http://s279.photobucket.com/albums/kk127/bigalsmith_photos/

Back to top Go down

Post  Jono_h on Sat Jun 11, 2011 9:11 am

Don't worry Al, I'm not coming after you for a refund!

In all honesty, I'd probably have bought the car anyway, it was just a but if a shame because I wanted to get the car on the road ASAP. But if I've got to put a bit of time and effort into it to 'earn' my right to drive it then so be it!

First lot of hot oil down the cylinders didn't work. Next up is to leave the back end up on ramps and let gravity do it's thing. And if I can make an adaptor up today I might just fire some compressed air down one of the cylinders.

Jono_h

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  superworm on Sun Jun 12, 2011 1:17 am

Guy in "Classics Monthly" mag (March 2011) got himself a litre of penetrating oil and poured some in....a month later, he did the same again ..... finally, after 3 months the engine turned. Myself, I would take off the cylinder head to see how the bores were looking. Chances are that the bores under the pistons are OK but knocking a piston down (with a big hammer and a lump of wood) implies that one or two of the others have to come up!!! so eliminating some of the rust with wet'n dry above the pistons might help....then use the penetrating oil.

Good luck
superworm

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  TONYELF on Sun Jun 12, 2011 2:24 pm

I've used the wood and hammer trick successfully once after a few days soaking of penetrating oil, (some of my mates use diesel) You don't always need to knock hard and maybe just tap on side of piston at a time and then the other side (in other words rock the piston slightly from side to side)

TONYELF
Admin

View user profile http://www.miniaddicts.co.uk

Back to top Go down

Post  Jono_h on Wed Jun 15, 2011 9:34 pm

Well the heads off, and cylinder 4 is full of orange blobby rusty crap. I've given it a wet and dry, and another cupful of hot oil, and now I've got my fingers crossed!

By the looks of things it's still going to be a pig, but at least I know where to concentrate my efforts.

Probably engine out and a hone over the winter, but I just want to drive it for the summer!

Wish me luck!

Jono_h

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  TONYELF on Wed Jun 15, 2011 10:55 pm

Good Luck!

And keep us in the picture! please!

TONYELF
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Jono_h on Fri Jun 17, 2011 9:06 pm

It turns!

I'm not convinced that the Wd40, hot oil or coke really had any effect. But a lump of wood, and slightly more beating than I was expecting got some movement.
From there I could get some wet and dry on the rust, and with very little effort I can now turn it over by hand. Tried to turn it over on the starter, but I think the battery is flat because there wasn't enough inertia to engage the starter gear.

(That said it looked like the starter was turning the wrong way, is that possible? And which way does the engine rotate when running, assumng I'm looking at the flywheel?)

So one happy Elf owner, until I looked at the head. No. 4 chamber is full of rust - I'll need to dig out the wire brush and re-grind the valves now!

Jono_h

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  TONYELF on Fri Jun 17, 2011 10:34 pm

Look at your fan blades,the air is pulled in through the radiator. Work it out from there!

TONYELF
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Zef on Sat Jun 18, 2011 1:55 am

erm Tony isn't the air pushed from the engine bay to the wheel arch?
Zef

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  superworm on Sat Jun 18, 2011 2:40 am

(That said it looked like the starter was turning the wrong way, is that possible? And which way does the engine rotate when running, assumng I'm looking at the flywheel?)

OK so you are looking at the flywheel (at least standing at the flywheel end and NOT looking through the starter hole).....the engine should be turning anti-clockwise (or counter clockwise for our colonial cousins!)

Assuming the elf was rollin and you were walking (running??) alongside at the the RHS of the Elf, the wheels would be turning clockwise...so the big diff wheel would also be turning likewise...so the diff pinion would be turning anti-clockwise as would the main g/box input shaft/gear.....so the idlergear would be turning clockwise ......so the Primary gear would be tuning anti-clockwise......which is connected to the clutch/flywheel and hence the crankshaft which would also be turning anti-clockwise....nuff sed.....however,

If you are an olde f*rt like me you would migrate to the radiator end and, pretending that you were starting your brand new Austin 7 Ruby, clutching your starting handle in your right hand, you would crank the engine in a clockwise direction keeping your thumb well clear of the handle in case the olde b*gger backfired and broke your thumb! (which is exactly the same effect as standing at the flyweel end and turning it anti-clockwise!!!!!).

Cheers

Alan

PS: as a follow up to this, it follows (!!!!) that the starter must be turning clockwise thus when you look at the little square end of the starter shaft, it will be turning anti-clockwise 'cos you can only look at it from t'other (radiator) end of the engine !

superworm

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  TONYELF on Sat Jun 18, 2011 1:04 pm

Zef wrote:erm Tony isn't the air pushed from the engine bay to the wheel arch?
Oops, Yes! Thats me told Embarassed
Sorry!

Isn't that why the offside wing is kept Dry and rarely rots?

TONYELF
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Jono_h on Sat Jun 18, 2011 8:37 pm

It runs!

(Al, you are forgiven!)

Jono_h

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Red Riley on Sat Jun 18, 2011 8:49 pm

Brilliant! Congratulations!

Click here to see my latest project! . . . . . . . . . . . . . .Click on the banner above to see my photo gallery.
Red Riley
Admin

View user profile http://smartgraphicmedia.com/

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top