Drum Brake system refurb help

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Post  robinkritz1 on Wed Jun 22, 2011 11:47 pm

Im overhauling my brake system for Winnie the Hornet,i.e changing a few copper pipes, wheel cylinders, overhauling the original tin type master cylinder ..etc its not a total refurb, just renewing the areas which look worse for wear. Im at the stage of installing the copper pipes, most of the plumbing is relatively simple, but I broke the cardinal rule for restoration, DO not take something apart before taking photos for the sake of recostruction. Does anyone have a picture of the plumbing behind the backing plate where the pipe connects the twin front wheel cyliners? I have looked in many places but I'm probably not looking properly just like when Im looking for a clean pair of socks.Embarassed If not, does anyone know a site where I can get this info?
robinkritz1

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Drum Brake system refurb help

Post  Jono_h on Wed Jun 22, 2011 11:57 pm

I can take a photo tomorrow, but from memory (and I only changed my shoes yesterday);

Sitting on the floor in front of the passenger drum lookin down from the top.....

The rubber hose from the subframe goes to the top connection of the left hand cylinder. One end of the copper pipe goes from the bottom connection of the left hand cylinder to the bottom of the right hand cylinder. The bleed nipple goes in the top of the right hand cylinder.

I assume drivers side is mirror image, so the rubber hose goes to the top of the right hand cylinder, etc....

Jono_h

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  robinkritz1 on Thu Jun 23, 2011 12:04 am

Thanks for that buddy a picture will be much appreciated, I'm a picture kind of guy myself, I'm sure it's simple but it's better to see the actual layout.
robinkritz1

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Jono_h on Thu Jun 23, 2011 9:48 pm

Right lets see if I can this to work....

Both pics are of passenger side. Pic 1 is of the cylinder nearest the front of the car;

Pic 2 is of the cylinder towards the back;

Rubber hose top hole towards front, bleed nipple top hole towards rear, copper link pipe between bottom holes.

Jono_h

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  superworm on Fri Jun 24, 2011 1:57 am

Sorry to stick my nose in your thread Robin but I would suggest you do NOT use copper for your brake pipes. Copper will work harden a) when you bend it and..... b) over time subject to all the vibration that is induced by your car moving about on anything but very smooth roads, engine and braking vibrations, etc. When copper is hard, it becomes very brittle and, with the vibrations, is subject to fatigue resulting in fractures of the pipes when you least expect it !!!!

You will find that copper-nickel (aka cupro-nickel or kunifer) pipes don't suffer from this problem as the material is much tougher than plain copper. You can google this to find a source or go to Automec:

http://www.mamut.net/automec/subdet3.htm

It only costs a couple of quids more than copper - leave that at B&Q and your local central heating engineer.

BTW, Automec will actually flare the pipes for you at the correct length and with the appropriate fittings (I use brass end fittings).

Cheers

Alan
superworm

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  robinkritz1 on Sat Jun 25, 2011 10:43 am

Thanks very much Jono, at least with this I can install my copper piping, your a star. Thanks superworm for your advice much appreciated.
Jono_h wrote:Right lets see if I can this to work....

Both pics are of passenger side. Pic 1 is of the cylinder nearest the front of the car;

Pic 2 is of the cylinder towards the back;

Rubber hose top hole towards front, bleed nipple top hole towards rear, copper link pipe between bottom holes.
robinkritz1

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top