useless brakelight switches

View previous topic View next topic Go down

useless brakelight switches

Post  psychobob on Fri Jun 24, 2011 5:09 pm

is it me or are lucas brakelight switches really poor quality nowadays? i have been through three this year so far and its just died again! the contact metal inside seems to be 90% chocolate. after three or four weeks they stop being reliable. is anyone else having this problem and is there a cure? ideally before i get flattened by an artic.
psychobob

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: useless brakelight switches

Post  Zef on Fri Jun 24, 2011 9:00 pm

Hydraulic or mechanical? If Mechanical then why not put a hydraulic one on? :-)
Zef

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Big_Al_Smith on Sat Jun 25, 2011 10:46 pm

my own jvg has gone through, i think i remember correctly, at least five hydraulic ones in the last nine years - seems like nothing's made properly anymore! Mad
Big_Al_Smith

View user profile http://s279.photobucket.com/albums/kk127/bigalsmith_photos/

Back to top Go down

mechanical

Post  psychobob on Sun Jun 26, 2011 11:25 am

i didn't know you could swap for a hydraulic one. although they sound as bad to be honest. i have pulled a few apart to temporarily fix them but i have found they tend to explode into a shower of tiny pieces onto your feet about a week later! i'm toying with the idea of scouring scrapyards to see if something from another car will fit (ideally japanese, they never break!).
psychobob

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  TONYELF on Sun Jun 26, 2011 1:04 pm

psychobob wrote:i didn't know you could swap for a hydraulic one. although they sound as bad to be honest. i have pulled a few apart to temporarily fix them but i have found they tend to explode into a shower of tiny pieces onto your feet about a week later! i'm toying with the idea of scouring scrapyards to see if something from another car will fit (ideally japanese, they never break!).

Never break? What planet are you on?
Ever since the British Stardards were discarded by the EU everything has gone to pieces. we are obliged to have the country flooded by foreign muck ( in particular, mini bits.) my 64 Elf is still running on its original ball joints etc that it had when I found it in 2004. It had been standing untouched since 1986..! I have also been running it on the original contact points until early this year (plug leads too!)
Many members of my mini club are complaining about having to change their ball joints and track rod ends almost every twelve months, some of them every 3000 miles. Granted as I keep telling them, these item were only designed for town travel, moving people from A to B in reasonable comfort on 10" x 5" tyres and no spacers and they are on wide tyres (ok they get a better grip) but there is a hell of a strain on the joints and steering track rod ends.
Rant over but while I'm in the mood IF we get the opportunity of a referendum on the EU. Please vote to pull out. We cannot let them rule us and let poorer countrys join us so we have to bail them out.
Resurrect Enoch Powel please!

TONYELF
Admin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  elfgirl on Mon Jun 27, 2011 8:18 pm

TONYELF wrote:

Only if I can be first in the queue to shoot him!! Actually no, that would probably not be the slow, painful torture that he deserves!

But yes, to keep on thread I've got through 2 brake light switches in the last year.

elfgirl

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  TONYELF on Mon Jun 27, 2011 10:17 pm

Actually my fingers ran riot over the keyboard there. Sorry!

I did actually have to change my hydraulic switch myself as my brake light were stuck on permanently but then it was 47 years old!

The thread continues..................................................................................................................

TONYELF
Admin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  discoman41 on Mon Jun 27, 2011 11:06 pm

elfgirl wrote:
TONYELF wrote:

Only if I can be first in the queue to shoot him!! Actually no, that would probably not be the slow, painful torture that he deserves!

Here, here!

Alternatively, once resurrected you could lock him in a loo in Glastonbury!.... Now why didn't Thatcher ever go to Glastonbury?

Laughing Laughing
discoman41

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  discoman41 on Mon Jun 27, 2011 11:10 pm

Oops! For a minute there I was thinking that all forums were political! Now back to it.... brake light switches... disintegrate with age, English or Japanese.... Very Happy
discoman41

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  psychobob on Wed Jun 29, 2011 5:12 pm

i quite agree about the demise of british standards but without the benefit of a time machine i think we are stuck with crap modern ones. i used to own an old mitsibishi colt that i bought for forty quid and it ran for two years with nothing at all needing doing to it. although, on the down side, it was pig ugly!
psychobob

View user profile

Back to top Go down

aaaarrrgggghhhhhh

Post  psychobob on Wed Aug 31, 2011 5:10 pm

unbelievably, it's died again! almost three months too the day. i hadn't budgeted for two pounds a month for brakelight switches in my annual running costs. thankfully i thought to order two last time. come the revolution, lucas will be first against the wall!
psychobob

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  psychobob on Wed Nov 16, 2011 6:01 pm

and another one bites the dust! i dont know how mr lucas sleeps at night.
psychobob

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  smiler on Wed Nov 16, 2011 9:34 pm

hey all, just as bad are the starter solenoids with the button. I have bought 2 in the year, both have given up, both Lucas.........
find all the old ones you can and stash em!

smiler

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top