replacing top arms with hydros

View previous topic View next topic Go down

replacing top arms with hydros

Post  myminimonster on Mon Jul 11, 2011 1:18 pm

Hi All,

Has anyone ever attempted to remove and replace the front top arms without letting the hydros down?

I am trying source a hydro pump to keep under the bench but am keen to get my top arms replaced asap.
I know i can go to a garage etc but would prefer to do it at my own leisure.

So has anyone attempted it without letting the hydros down?

Thanks
Adie

myminimonster

View user profile http://www.theminiregister.com

Back to top Go down

Re: replacing top arms with hydros

Post  Jono_h on Mon Jul 11, 2011 3:35 pm

Adie,

I can't help with your question, but I have just made my own hydro pump, and it was dead easy and cost less than £20.

Just take a 90 degree tyre valve extender (ebay), and drill / snap out the middle nubbin so it doesn't push on the middle of the valve when you screw it on (take care not to damage the seal). The end of the extender fits nicely into a 8mm straight compression fitting. Take the nut and olive off of the other end of the compression fitting, and take it and your flexi hose from your grease gun to a plumbing shop who will give you a couple of brass fittings to join them up.
Put a bit of PTFE tape on all the screw threads, including the screw joints on the grease gun body, and tighten.

Connect to car, fill with anti-freeze and pump!

Jono_h

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  myminimonster on Mon Jul 11, 2011 3:58 pm

Thanks for that sounds ideal. Could it be used to fill a car system that had no fluid in it. I understand that they need to create a vacuum?

Thanks again
Adie
myminimonster

Back to top Go down

Post  Jono_h on Mon Jul 11, 2011 7:16 pm

Adie,

You're right that the workshop units have a vaccumm system on them as well to pull the air out, and this doesn't do that.

Are you going to have to drain all of the fluid out, or will you just need to drop the pressure. If it's the latter then there shouldn't be any air in the system so it's a straight pump up.

Jon.

Jono_h

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  whitebuffalo on Mon Jul 11, 2011 9:20 pm

I did it once on my '67 Cooper S. I had to lift the car up on car jacks on the side I was working on to allow the rear suspension to take the extra fluid that was being pressed out of the front displacer. I used a very long pry bar and lifted the arm up till it was as high as I could get it, which sent the fluid back to the rear displacer. I then was able to carefully remove the upper arm and had to use the pry bar to help get the arm out since there is still pressure on it from the fluid.

Once I replaced the items I was replacing I had to use the pry bar to push the upper arm back into place and get the shaft in. It can be done, just need to keep the front hubs out of the way so you can use a little brute strength and watch out for the fingers! I was able to refresh my entire front suspension without a problem. Displacers were at 280psi or so.
whitebuffalo

View user profile http://www.moala.org

Back to top Go down

Post  myminimonster on Tue Jul 12, 2011 10:48 am

ok thanks all.

Sounds like it is possible, which is good to know.

I recon my knuckles will take a grazing by the sounds of things. Crying or Very sad

Thanks again

Adie

myminimonster

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top