Mk1 Riley Elf

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Mk1 Riley Elf

Post  ritchiec on Sun Sep 25, 2011 11:00 am

Hi,

I have just purchased a Riley ELF Mk1. It has exterior door hinges, sliding windows. Seams on panels, over-riders on the bumpers. All chrome bits are on the car, seats are excellent, no rust.

Engine number: 8WR-H Which appears to be High compression 850cc

There is no chassis plate under the hood BUT there is a brass plate in the passenger footwell with the marking
LO6760. This car found its way to Zimbabwe (Rhodesia) so it must be a UK assembled car. I am guessing 1961 - 1962.

Does anyone know if any cars were assembled with this brass plate I have referred to? I expected a plate in the engine bay. Engine number is still on the motor.

Regards Colin

ritchiec

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Mk1 Riley Elf

Post  hilbert on Sun Sep 25, 2011 2:27 pm

some foto's wil help

but never seen a brass car nr plate

you can also look at the plate of the wipper motor there is also standing a year and mount of produce
also the marks on the windows can help you
and there are much more things on the car white a date in it

hilbert

hilbert

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  catmint on Sun Sep 25, 2011 5:33 pm

Hi Colin

We may be able to help if the engine number is the original - we have data on about the first 400 cars produced. Some did go out as CDK, but the first few were built up and sent all over the world as examples. A lot of minis did have a floor number, though it tended to be steel and welded on or stamped in. These cars are different as the bodies were not made on the mini production line, so there are loads of little differences. Just had a quick look on the data base and one car did get exported direct from BMC to Rhodesia - engine no 236, was blue with a white roof

If you could send me the engine number I will see what I can find (via a personal message if you don't want it public)

Regards

Gordon

PS is this the car that Rich at Minispares got an email about ?

catmint

View user profile http://www.catmint.biz

Back to top Go down

Hi Gordon

Post  ritchiec on Sun Sep 25, 2011 6:46 pm

Gordon,

What a small world. Yes it is the car I mentioned to Richard.Rich and I go back some time when I was racing Mighty Minis in the UK. I speak to him frequently.

We did buy the car on Wednesday, gave it a good clean and polish. The brightwork looks like its new, quite remarkable. The car has been sprayed red at some point. The original colour is surf blue, you can see this in certain spots.

The engine number is 8WR-U-H-7108

Radiator: Badge: Coventry radiator and press work Number: 5696FC

Windscreen wiper motor: DR3A12V1062
Second number: 54071170 and last number: 75461A

The plate in passenger compartment: LO6760

I can send some pictures if I can get an email address. I guess I am too lazy to publish it on the web.

Regards
Colin Ritchie
colin.ritchie@vodamail.co.za

ritchiec

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  catmint on Sun Sep 25, 2011 8:05 pm

We were in MS annoying Rich the other day and he showed us the email you sent. Looks a nice car

Going by the wiper motor, we are into October 62, which will give a reasonable correlation with the engine number - engines in the 2000's were built around about may 62. Unfortunately at the moment the database we have is only comprehensive upto April 62. I think the only successful way to get the chassis number is by going off the engine number and trawling through Heritages records. The other bit that will have a date on it is the dip switch on the floor. The rest of the numbers are just really part numbers. We have had to guess at the relevance of floor and body numbers, but we think they are just an administration number so the car can be built too the correct specification before it get it's official chassis number

Does it have a heater in it ? - From what we can see in the records is that most of the exports to warmer countries did not have heaters fitted, most of the home market cars did.

Colour wise, it could be either Iris or Florentine blue

Shame it is not the original export one

Our email is catmint @ freeuk . com (without the spaces !)

Gordon

catmint

View user profile http://www.catmint.biz

Back to top Go down

Post  RileyUSMan on Mon Sep 26, 2011 5:17 pm

The Internet certainly can make the World feel like a small place sometimes.
RileyUSMan

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  cheleker on Mon Sep 26, 2011 5:20 pm

Gordon's guess at Oct 1962 is a good one. Although engine numbers don't necessarily correspond directly with build dates, they are often close. 6986 engine number went into a 23 October 62 built Elf so 7108 isn't far off.

cheleker

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top