what jack do you use?

View previous topic View next topic Go down

what jack do you use?

Post  scooperman on Wed Oct 12, 2011 3:14 pm

In the garage, I use my floor jack to lift the Elf. But I don't have enough original BMC jacks for my Elfs, and I remember when I drove Minis that those jacks were not very good in sandy soil like every roadside here in Florida.
I tried a scissor jack that was compact when collapsed, but it was very unstable. These work OK on cars with much wider track and longer wheelbase, but on a Mini or Elf if you tried lifting under the front or rear subframe where you are trying to lift one corner of the car, the car tilts quickly as it lifts, and the jack wants to fall over.
I am beginning to think about making a copy of the original boot board (something that I wouldn't mind using for a jack stand in the dirt) and perhaps carrying two scissor jacks, to avoid the single-corner tilting issue. I could make front and rear subframe blocks so that a single jack could lift the front or rear, but then that's a large pile of stuff to carry around.

So what jack do you keep in the car for emergency use?
scooperman

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: what jack do you use?

Post  paulsminis on Wed Oct 12, 2011 10:47 pm

I use the mini jack intended for use with the estate versions. It works well on any mini and better than the one that fits into the sills.
paulsminis

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  scooperman on Thu Oct 13, 2011 12:34 am

paulsminis wrote:I use the mini jack intended for use with the estate versions. It works well on any mini and better than the one that fits into the sills.

Paul, is that the 21A1643? I think its the cantilever type shown here.
scooperman

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  TONYELF on Thu Oct 13, 2011 1:01 am

I prefer to use a small trolley jack, admittantly it takes up space in the boot/trunk but it is low enough to place under the subframe and is more stable than all other jacks. Mine comes in it's own plastic case (again takes up even more boot space but looks neat.)
I also carry a small board to stop it sinking into soft ground. The lost space in the boot is compensated by peace of mind and safety.

TONYELF
Admin

View user profile http://www.miniaddicts.co.uk

Back to top Go down

Post  paulsminis on Thu Oct 13, 2011 2:26 am

I agree with a trolley jack, one of the small cased ones works excellently. That's what I use at home. And, yes, the van/estate version is the cantilevered one you point out.....hard to find nowadays, at least over here. The ratcheting handle is even harder to find, but you can drive it with a socket wrench. I like that type, mainly because it has a wider base and acts on the subframes, rather than the sills..

Paul
paulsminis

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top