Which comes first, the car or the garage?

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Which comes first, the car or the garage?

Post  wcrocker on Tue Oct 25, 2011 6:14 pm

I've been reading the forum for a while, learning lots about Elfs and Hornets, while I save up for a purchase. I'm in a bit of a dilemma. Right now, I don't have a garage to store a car or to work on one Crying or Very sad . At some point, I plan on building one, but I'm just curious what everyone has for their workspace? Garage? Shed? Driveway? Basement? I currently have a small workshop in my basement, but not really suitable for working on a car. I'm thinking about buying the car first (a 'rolling restoration'), which I would drive through the good weather and store in the winter months, and eventually, I would build a garage. Any thoughts?

-Will

wcrocker

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Which comes first, the car or the garage?

Post  myminimonster on Wed Jun 06, 2012 4:29 pm

Hi Will,

I say the car comes first because without the car i wouldn't need a garage and could do with just a shed...

Many will probably agree that you will always fill what space you have too. If you have a shed you will want a garage, got a garage you would want a double, got a double you will want a unit..

I guess it depends on the condition of the car and the frequency it will be used. Obviously a garage will help preserve a rested car more than it sat on the road. A car that is used everyday, all weather will not notice much difference just being put in a garage at night.

I have rebuilt a car in a normal single garage that was pretty much empty but ongoing restos could get tricky on a drive/roadside especially if it involves taking lots of bits/panels off.

It has been a while since you posted this thread so let us know what you decided and how your getting on?
Adie
myminimonster

View user profile http://www.theminiregister.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Red Riley on Wed Jun 06, 2012 7:52 pm

Maybe things are different where I live, but I couldn't even imagine not having a garage. Build one, fill it up with tools and stuff. Then you have no reason not to get a car to put in it.

Click here to see my latest project! . . . . . . . . . . . . . .Click on the banner above to see my photo gallery.
Red Riley
Admin

View user profile http://smartgraphicmedia.com/

Back to top Go down

Post  Alex on Wed Jun 06, 2012 9:02 pm

Car first - you can always make do.

Although I had a double garage at home, I was never able to get into it to work on a car. It tends to make you work faster and smarter.
Once I moved out and had a place of my own, I built a massive shed where the patio used to be (made it into Mini Mag back in about 2005) and rebuilt a few cars and engines in there.
When we moved to a large place in a village, I had a singel garage and a decent shed for storage. I've outgrown the garage and the shed, and also have an industrial unit with a massive yard...
Nature abhors a vacuum, so even that is nearly full !
Alex

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  asahartz on Thu Jun 07, 2012 12:35 am

When I moved into my house there was a dilapidated asbestos garage, which had to go! I built a decent-ish garage but outgrew it, plus with it being close to the house the neighbours weren't too happy about me using the angle grinder so much. This was the garage I restored my Elf in.

So having the luxury of a huge garden, I built a new garage 30 metres from the house - I can get 2.5 Minis in it! Three if I use rollers to slide one in sideways...

So yes, while you can have the car first it's a bit inconvenient trying to repair things, and a garage is tremendously useful. In fact I would need a big shed to keep all my tools in if I didn't have the garage!
asahartz

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  wcrocker on Thu Jun 07, 2012 3:14 am

myminimonster wrote:Hi Will,

I say the car comes first because without the car i wouldn't need a garage and could do with just a shed...

Many will probably agree that you will always fill what space you have too. If you have a shed you will want a garage, got a garage you would want a double, got a double you will want a unit..

I guess it depends on the condition of the car and the frequency it will be used. Obviously a garage will help preserve a rested car more than it sat on the road. A car that is used everyday, all weather will not notice much difference just being put in a garage at night.

I have rebuilt a car in a normal single garage that was pretty much empty but ongoing restos could get tricky on a drive/roadside especially if it involves taking lots of bits/panels off.

It has been a while since you posted this thread so let us know what you decided and how your getting on?
Adie

Thanks everyone for your input. I haven't bought an Elf yet, although I've been tempted by a few. I'm going to keep looking for the 'right' car. I'll save up a little more and purchase one which is 'road ready' that I can tinker with on weekends, but also use daily should I wish. I have a small shed for storage and a small basement work area right now. I also don't have a whole lot of time to work on a car right now anyway. Eventually I'll have a car as well as a garage.

wcrocker

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Dream Garage

Post  KevCT on Thu Jun 07, 2012 6:59 pm

I recently moved house, partly to achieve the garage of my dreams. I now have a large garage which is essentially inside the ground floor of my house which means heated and dry Smile The green concrete floor might not have been my first choice though.
I even have the car to fill it!

[img]http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-dxUNpsDvCrw/T6_kbuirqII/AAAAAAAAATY/UVMyL9DWc9M/s1600/IMG_2995.JPG
[img]http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-eRPH-ae_40U/T6_kfesBIEI/AAAAAAAAATg/7C2PwI-DAus/s1600/IMG_2996.JPG
KevCT

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  wcrocker on Thu Jun 07, 2012 10:12 pm

KevCT wrote:I recently moved house, partly to achieve the garage of my dreams. I now have a large garage which is essentially inside the ground floor of my house which means heated and dry Smile The green concrete floor might not have been my first choice though.
I even have the car to fill it!

[img]http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-dxUNpsDvCrw/T6_kbuirqII/AAAAAAAAATY/UVMyL9DWc9M/s1600/IMG_2995.JPG
[img]http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-eRPH-ae_40U/T6_kfesBIEI/AAAAAAAAATg/7C2PwI-DAus/s1600/IMG_2996.JPG

Nice garage. Like you, I'll probably have to move to get a garage. I don't have much space to build one.

wcrocker

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top