Introducing another South African MK3

Page 3 of 7 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Go down

Re: Introducing another South African MK3

Post  SAMK3 on Sat Nov 17, 2012 10:07 pm

Thanks! Wait until I post a photo of the anniversary present my fiancé had made for me... A painting of the Mk3.

If we can clean the glue stains and if the fabric doesn't crumble, I would like to reuse the headliner. I imagine it would be impossible to find a match for the fabric.

The rear reflectors are mounted on brackets. Considering how original my car is, I wouldn't be surprised if they came mounted on those brackets from the factory.

SAMK3

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Jared Mk3 on Sun Nov 18, 2012 12:22 pm

I really would like to see that picture.

The hoodlining you won't find very easily, unless you're able to find an upholsterer who is able to make something very similar. Another option is you could find a second hand one at some of the many private Mini spares outlets in SA.

Regarding the reflectors, anything is possible in this country. Leykor at the time did some very strange things. By any chance, will the subframes be coming off of your car? If so, I'd like to see some pictures of the rear one, if possible.

I also noticed that your car still has the cardboard battery box, rocking horse poo in this country those are.
Jared Mk3

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  SAMK3 on Sun Nov 18, 2012 4:53 pm

The resto has been an odd process for me. When I did my previous car, the '69 mustang I drove for the past 12 years, I did most everything myself aside from body/paint. This time around I'm reliant on the shop in SA to do it all while I read/write SMSs to Kev. He is my local contact with the shop. I've heard they do great work and have to trust their judgement. So, I have no idea if the subframes are coming off. I'm guessing not. We budgeted about 35000 rand for the work. The car has almost no rust, so I think the detail work of cleaning and spraying those bits will be a project for me when I receive it. I can look for the markings you found on yours.

We are planning for completion in March.

The battery cover is a treat. I will see if I can make a template for someone to reproduce it?
M
SAMK3

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Red Riley on Sun Nov 18, 2012 5:50 pm

Is the battery box cover this one? www.newtoncomm.co.uk
I've got one from them and it looks like the real thing.

Click here to see my latest project! . . . . . . . . . . . . . .Click on the banner above to see my photo gallery.
Red Riley
Admin

View user profile http://smartgraphicmedia.com/

Back to top Go down

Post  SAMK3 on Sun Nov 18, 2012 6:04 pm

Oh neat. Mine doesn't look like it has a flat top. It is a little hard to see in the photos but I think there are three raised lines across the top that were probably molded/pressed into the cardboard.
SAMK3

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Jared Mk3 on Fri Nov 23, 2012 4:55 pm

SAMK3 wrote:I can look for the markings you found on yours.

Thank you. I'm just really keen to see how different all these cars were. And how many are all still original.
Jared Mk3

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  SAMK3 on Wed Jan 23, 2013 5:38 am

Anyone have a lead on Lucas headlamps? I would like a period correct pair (even if they throw terrible light) and ideally they would be LHD for US roads.

Also, I need a new lower dash pad and metal trim strip. How are the repros? Seems pretty pricey to import into the US from the UK.

Thanks,
M
SAMK3

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Original Lucas LHD Headlights :

Post  David2010 on Wed Jan 23, 2013 12:26 pm

Why LHD headlights ( as in U.S.A.) ?
The last time I was in S.A.(2005) you guys were driving on the left ( as in the U.K. & here in Ireland ) .

David2010
David2010

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  SAMK3 on Thu Jan 24, 2013 7:30 am

Hi David,
Car will be moving stateside at some point. I live in New York. I'll keep the car RHD.
SAMK3

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Jared Mk3 on Thu Jan 24, 2013 12:27 pm

Have you got any updated pictures of her?
Jared Mk3

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  SAMK3 on Thu Jan 24, 2013 2:36 pm

Unfortunately no. I'll be in JB and CT this July and it should be ready by then. I'm hoping the body shop will send me a few photos before then. All I've heard is how rust free it is. I'm having them install rear seat belt mounts. Subframes are off so it should be a nice paint job.
SAMK3

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Jared Mk3 on Mon Jan 28, 2013 10:44 am

SAMK3 wrote:Unfortunately no. I'll be in JB and CT this July and it should be ready by then.

Take a very large detour when you do come out here and visit Kokstad Very Happy

I have just found a Mk3 for sale on Gumtree here in SA and noticed that the reflectors were in the same position as yours, next to the over riders. It's so interesting to see how there are many small differences in our cars in this country.
Jared Mk3

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  SAMK3 on Tue Jan 29, 2013 1:54 am

I would love to go for a long drive and get to know the country. I will be celebrating our wedding with a reception in JB, then a visit to Kruger and CT. So I won't have much time for anything else.

I look on gumtree from time to time as well. There have been a few mk3s showing up there, which is surprising considering how few were made. I was sooo lucky with mine (condition and price). How is yours coming along? I haven't seen photos for some time. Must be getting close?
SAMK3

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Jared Mk3 on Tue Jan 29, 2013 12:33 pm

SAMK3 wrote:I would love to go for a long drive and get to know the country. I will be celebrating our wedding with a reception in JB, then a visit to Kruger and CT.

You could always take the long trip around between JHB and CT. Very Happy

SAMK3 wrote: How is yours coming along? I haven't seen photos for some time. Must be getting close?

To be honest, I haven't gotten really far with it. I'm stuck on the inner fender wells with all the old stone chip that refuses to come off. Not to mention the fact that the engine bay needs to be resprayed as it wasn't prepped properly, as well the as the bonnet needing redoing due to reactions and whatever. Some days I feel like giving up ,but then I think of how nice it'll be to drive her.
Jared Mk3

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Reflectors

Post  KevCT on Tue Jan 29, 2013 8:43 pm

Jared Mk3 wrote:
SAMK3 wrote:Unfortunately no. I'll be in JB and CT this July and it should be ready by then.

I have just found a Mk3 for sale on Gumtree here in SA and noticed that the reflectors were in the same position as yours, next to the over riders. It's so interesting to see how there are many small differences in our cars in this country.

My '69 Mk3 also had the reflectors next to the overiders. I could never work out exactly how to refit them until I saw SAMk3's car.
KevCT

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Jared Mk3 on Tue Jan 29, 2013 9:28 pm

KevCT wrote:
Jared Mk3 wrote:

My '69 Mk3 also had the reflectors next to the overiders. I could never work out exactly how to refit them until I saw SAMk3's car.

I wonder why there was a difference then? Unless the cars received their reflectors upon arrival at the dealerships. This could explain why they are in different locations.
Jared Mk3

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  SAMK3 on Wed Jan 30, 2013 1:27 am

I saw a MK3 with the reflector installed beneath the tail lights. Didn't look very nice.
SAMK3

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Jared Mk3 on Wed Jan 30, 2013 11:10 am

SAMK3 wrote:I saw a MK3 with the reflector installed beneath the tail lights. Didn't look very nice.

That's where mine go, there's a hole there where they screw into.
Jared Mk3

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  SAMK3 on Thu Jan 31, 2013 12:06 am

Oops, well I meant to say both positions look nice. Wink
Maybe they ran out of brackets when they got to your car.
SAMK3

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Jared Mk3 on Thu Jan 31, 2013 10:37 am

I assumed that all were like mine, how wrong was I Embarassed

And knowing mine and my cars' luck, they could well have run out of brackets when they got to her.
Jared Mk3

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Help needed

Post  SAMK3 on Sat Feb 23, 2013 2:23 am

Hi,
I'm looking to order some parts and could really benefit from everyone's advice and knowledge.

Headliner:
I need a headliner with the correct fabric and color. Most of the Mini parts were manufactured in South Africa, but perhaps they did match or approximate the pattern used in the UK. I have attached some photos of my car that you can reference for color and pattern. From the photos can you recognize if my headliner is indeed vintage original or if it was a later replacement. Finally, I was told that the South African Mk3 has different doors from the UK Elf/Hornet, so it isn't clear which headliner I need (Mini or Elf/Hornet)?

Carpet:
I need a replacement carpet. In the photos I believe the only original carpeting left might be on the toe board/firewall where you can see some edge finishing. Any idea on color? The body paint looks like porcelain green but the seats/door cards... on to my next question.

Seats/door cards:
I would like to replace the rear quarter panel interior cards. Any idea on color? I have a receipt from the car's prior owner, a local (Cape Town, South Africa) upholstery supplier (Kehl's) noted the color olive.

Door window rubber:
The original rubbers have disintegrated but had a nice hairbrush bristle seal. I would much much prefer this vintage original style if anyone knows if it is available new

Lower dash pad:
Are they all the same for all year Minis? I need one with the metal trim strip.

Thanks!!!
-Mark

SAMK3

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Red Riley on Sat Feb 23, 2013 2:49 am

That headliner looks like it's in good shape to me. Why do you need a new one? Just a bit of cleaning and it will look as least as good as any that I've seen.

The interior lamp is an easy fix. Here's one: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Austin-Morris-Mini-Cooper-BMC-MK1-Interior-lamp-light-/170988968477?pt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&hash=item27cfbc9a1d

Click here to see my latest project! . . . . . . . . . . . . . .Click on the banner above to see my photo gallery.
Red Riley
Admin

View user profile http://smartgraphicmedia.com/

Back to top Go down

Post  SAMK3 on Sat Feb 23, 2013 2:57 am

I was able to find a decent lamp with the correct switch. I would have kept the original headliner but it disintegrated Sad
SAMK3

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Jared Mk3 on Sat Feb 23, 2013 3:47 pm

That headliner is indeed an original SA item, mine looks exactly the same, apart from the fact that it had holes in all over the place. When I ordered a new headliner from Newton, a few people advised that I do go for the Elf/Hornet one. I have yet to fit it, so can't comment on it just yet.

As far as I can tell, the dash pad is the same as some of the later ones. You could even possibly find a good secondhand one here in SA from a Clubman.
Jared Mk3

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  SAMK3 on Sat Feb 23, 2013 6:25 pm

I'm curious as well which liner to use. I'll try the Hornet/Elf one and see what happens. Does anyone have an image of the cream crackle headliner from Minispares? The car will look so new that it'd be a shame to keep a tatty headliner, though I really would like to keep it original...
SAMK3

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 3 of 7 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum