Engine paint colour scheme

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Engine paint colour scheme

Post  Slim on Fri Mar 30, 2012 12:07 pm

Have tried searching the forum for this but not found a definitive answer,sorry.
I want to repaint the engine with the correct colour(s), as ex factory.
So can anyone please advise the correct paint colour for the engine in the MK3 Elf. I know it is green but which one ? BMC/MOWOG/Mini Classic seem to vary hence my question.
I think it might be British Standard Middle Bronze Green (BS 223) but were any engines painted in the darker green called Dark Bronze Green?
Where also is best to buy ? ebay?
Were the dynamo and starter painted green or black out of the factory? My dyno is black and starter green.
Were any parts left as aluminium? eg Water pump and stat housing?

thanks

Slim

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Engine paint colour scheme

Post  cooper50 on Sun Oct 28, 2012 12:43 pm

i dont think anyone could give you a definative aswer on this one, some are painted the light shade and others are painted in dark shade, to be honest, it was the 60,s and nobody gave a toss, it depends on that colour they had in at the time as to what colour they got painted, having siad that, most of the coopers ive seen tend to be painted the darker shade, and as the elf enine shared a lot of the parts from the cooper rane of engines, it would seem the better option to paint it in the darker shade
The only reason the engines where painted green in the first place is that green is the best heat dicipating colour of the sprctrum and given the tightness off the mini /elf and hornet i think it was a wise choice

cooper50

View user profile

Back to top Go down

ENGINE PAINT COLOUR SCHEME :

Post  David2010 on Wed Oct 31, 2012 1:44 am

I have spent some time now wracking my brain trying to remember the colours of various Mini engines at the time when they were current.
My first Mini - a 1960 Austin 7 bought in 1963 had an all BMC green engine/gearbox/rocker cover/dynamo - but a -black starter motor.
My next car - a 1962 Austin 997cc Cooper,mine in 1965 was the same (Austin cars were imported in CKD form & assembled in Dublin).
Another Cooper in 1969 - a 1965 Morris 1275cc S - again though a Morris and assembled by a different Irish importer - same colours.

Fast forward to 2003 ;
I bought a Rally-prepared 1963 Riley Elf with a 1275cc A Plus Engine/gearbox painted in " Metro Red " with a black starter motor.
I mention this car because it was previously fitted with a 1275cc Cooper S engine & a colour photo of this motor is in its MSA log book.
Finally my 1965 Morris 998cc Cooper -an English built car- the same BMC green engine/gearbox/rocker cover + black alternator/starter.

I agree that any Elf or Hornet engines that I have seen here in Ireland were/still are painted in a darker (pine?) green- that is a
darker shade of green than BMC green. I regret that I don't know the official name or paint code for this shade.
David2010.
David2010

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Engine paint colour scheme

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top