Rear Seat Belts

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Rear Seat Belts

Post  humph on Wed Jun 13, 2012 2:49 pm

We currently don't use the Elf as a family because there are no rear seatbelts. I fully appreciate the school of thought that belts are of limited use in classic cars that weren't built to have them, but for the limit piece of mind they give we want them fitted. I currently have the Somerford Mini kit that has all the strenghtening plates and weld in C pillar units for the later Mini, but the C pillar plates need extensions to fit the wider Elf C Pillar. The alternative is to fit parcel shelf mounted inertia belts with the relevant strenghtening.

Question is has anyone fitted rear belts? If so what did you do? Pics of the install and strenghtening used would be much appreciated.

Many thanks

humph

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Rear Seat Belts

Post  asahartz on Wed Jun 13, 2012 8:34 pm

A kit for the mounts is available from Somerfords. It's not cheap. and requires welding in, so it's a rear window out job.

I do remember my kids sliding across the back seat when I used to drop them off at primary school! Bearing in mind the youngest is now 17...
asahartz

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Nick on Wed Jun 13, 2012 10:13 pm

Or you could go down the Heinz 57 route, bolted with brackets to the rear seat upright, so they are only lap belts, but no need to weld.

Nick

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  humph on Wed Jun 13, 2012 10:55 pm

asahartz wrote:A kit for the mounts is available from Somerfords. It's not cheap. and requires welding in, so it's a rear window out job.

I do remember my kids sliding across the back seat when I used to drop them off at primary school! Bearing in mind the youngest is now 17...

This is the kit I have and was planning to fit. I stripped the side windows and C pillar trim out on Monday to assess how much extending the C pillar mounts needed. I then noticed holes that have clearly been drilled in the parcel shelf for something similar and that got me thinking. Mounting on the rear shelf would mean a lot less messing with removing rear screens and welding. Parcel shelf mounting would just mean suitable strenghtening plates for the shelf and fitting of the bottom mounts through the seat back as per the standard Mini fitting. The inertia reels I have (securon) can be mounted on the rear shelf so there is no issue there.

The parcel shelf solution would look like the install in the link below. The down side is that the Securon reel units are not pretty, but safety features rarely are Rolling Eyes

http://www.quickfitsbs.com/PDFs/CLASSIC_AND_SPORTS_CAR_JUNE_2005_MORRIS_MINI_MKII.pdf

humph

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  humph on Wed Jun 13, 2012 10:56 pm

Nick wrote:Or you could go down the Heinz 57 route, bolted with brackets to the rear seat upright, so they are only lap belts, but no need to weld.

I did think about this route, but doubt that the wife would really buy it as much of an improvement. Step dughter would probably prefer them to the restrictive three point.

humph

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  asahartz on Wed Jun 13, 2012 11:28 pm

humph wrote: I then noticed holes that have clearly been drilled in the parcel shelf for something similar and that got me thinking. Mounting on the rear shelf would mean a lot less messing with removing rear screens and welding. Parcel shelf mounting would just mean suitable strenghtening plates for the shelf and fitting of the bottom mounts through the seat back as per the standard Mini fitting. The inertia reels I have (securon) can be mounted on the rear shelf so there is no issue there.

It used to be quite common to bolt in child safety harnesses, mostly made by Britax - I still have several sets in the shed. They served well for attaching car seats, then held the child in the booster seat when it grew bigger.

That was before the rules got silly - some of the modern booster seats are about as big as an Elf drivers seat!
asahartz

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top