Side Window Seals: Who's Do You Use?

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Side Window Seals: Who's Do You Use?

Post  Stodgy on Sun Dec 30, 2012 10:37 pm

Hi-

I finally got around to replacing the rubber seals on my windows (seals have been on the shelf in the garage for over a year).
I purchased these from one of the three suppliers in California and have run into some fitment issues. The car is a NZ MkIII so is mostly MkI-II stuff w. internal hinges. Windows have the 2 tabs in place of a hinge.
I'm interested in opinions on side window seal suppliers. I'll need to re-order longer seals and suppose I can trim the lip that stands proud of the body but does anyone have any suggestions for #3?
Also, is anyone using any sealant or just relying on the fit of the seal to keep water out?

Thanks.

#1. the seals are short by about an inch.

#2. the seal projects +/- 1/4" from the B-pillar.

#3. at the upper rear corner, the seal pulls so that the flap doesn't sit tight against the body creating a gap.
Stodgy

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Side Window Seals: Who's Do You Use?

Post  Red Riley on Mon Dec 31, 2012 2:29 am

I don't know why the suppliers always cut seals too short. They should come longer than needed so they can be trimmed to fit. You could just order a single one and cut a bit off to fill the gap. You need to really force the seal into the corners and then leave a bit of overlap at the joint so that you can put the ends together and push them into place together. I like to fit them, overlap the ends, then glue the loose ends together before refitting it.

Click here to see my latest project! . . . . . . . . . . . . . .Click on the banner above to see my photo gallery.
Red Riley
Admin

View user profile http://smartgraphicmedia.com/

Back to top Go down

Post  troutrunner on Mon Dec 31, 2012 3:06 am

Would the rubber not stretch Question perhaps if you place in water straight from the kettle it might stretch, worth a try as most rubbers do have some give in them.
troutrunner

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Red Riley on Mon Dec 31, 2012 5:17 am

The problem is that rubber loses elasticity over time, so it shrinks as it ages. You might be able to stretch it temporarily but it will return to it's un-stretched state and you'll end up with a gap. That's why I start with extra material and force it into the required length.

Click here to see my latest project! . . . . . . . . . . . . . .Click on the banner above to see my photo gallery.
Red Riley
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Stodgy on Mon Dec 31, 2012 9:29 pm

trout- I thought about that but then had the same concern as RRiley.
I'll see if I can't get some lengths of scrap from the vendor. Otherwise, I'll buy a new seal and cut to fit.

R.Riley- what type of adhesive do you use?
FWIW, the original seals were cut at a bias and glued together. I'm assuming the bias cut was to get more surface area for the glue. Not a bad idea!

Thanks
Stodgy

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Red Riley on Mon Dec 31, 2012 10:47 pm

I can't remember exactly what I used, but I'm pretty sure it was one of the 3M Scotch-Weld products. I must have used it up, because I can't find the tube. I used the same stuff when shortening a windshield gasket to fit the rear windscreen.

Red Riley
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  paulsminis on Mon Dec 31, 2012 11:45 pm

I generally don't use a sealant or adhesive on any of my Mini rear side window rubbers, but if you want to stick them down, the stuff to use is a 3M product in a tube that body shop guys that I knew have always called "yellow snot."

There's something about the seals you have that doesn't look quite right to me....the stuff I have used is similar to Mini Spares part number EAM7724. It has a "U" part that attaches to the lip on the body and has circular bulb part that squishes down when the window closes.

Don't know if that helps....but..

Paul
paulsminis

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  paulsminis on Mon Dec 31, 2012 11:49 pm

I did a quick search and what I think you might be looking for for adhesive is now 3M "Fast Tack Trim Adhesive" comes in a tube. Do a search and you will find it in lots of places.
paulsminis

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Red Riley on Tue Jan 01, 2013 12:55 am

Paul, I think that is the stuff you would use to glue the trim onto the car, if desired, but to glue the ends of the trim together I think you would want something that is made to permanently glue rubber to rubber. The trim tack adhesive stays kind of gooey so it can be removed if needed.

Red Riley
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  paulsminis on Tue Jan 01, 2013 2:17 am

Brian,

Of course! I didn't read thoroughly -- drat! The 3M tacky stuff is to put rubber to metal, etc, not rubber to rubber. But 3M is likely to have an appropriate glue.

Using the type window gasket I'm used to using, one doesn't have to stick it to the body as it clamps the metal lip quite well enough, and one usually gets enough seal to go all the way around. But if it came up short, and you wanted to piece in a small length, if one was careful with trimming, it will jam into place and hold usually.

Paul

paulsminis

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Stodgy on Sat Jan 05, 2013 11:27 pm

Thanks for the replies, guys.

FWIW, the new seals do match the profile of the old ones that I removed from the car (and by their condition, I can only assume are original?). They are slightly different from what was removed but are the seals that the primary vendors list for MkI Minis.

-db
'68 NZ MkIII Elf
Stodgy

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top