BLAST THAT OLD PAINT JOB :

View previous topic View next topic Go down

BLAST THAT OLD PAINT JOB :

Post  David2010 on Tue Mar 05, 2013 4:27 am

I've already asked this question in the " Irish Members Forum " but got no response ( so far).
It's about my 1966 Mk.II Hornet only recently dragged from the " Field of Dreams " ( an old Classic car graveyard West of Dublin ).
Amazingly the body shell is in surprising condition and a detailed examination last Saturday showed that the car is definitely worthy of
restoration or at the very least a donor shell for my now quite seriously decayed 1963 Mk.I Elf.
The question is what type of blasting is the best option for removing a poor re-paint which was applied about 25 years ago. Someone had
decided that the Hornet's original all (Toga ?) White paint job needed brightening up and sprayed the car Tartan Red with a Black roof.

So there's Sand, Soda, Bead, & Graphite Blasting to name but four. Jason of J & L Engineering recommends soda blasting ( "don't let anyone
sand blast an old Mini - the metal wont take it and residual sand will appear during painting to destroy the finish " ) Andriu - he of Irish
Cleaning Services says " Dont use Soda Blasting - it will only lead to your final paint job peeling off in layers after 2 or 3 years ". Andriu
recommends Graphite Blasting utilising pre-used Graphite particles. He showed me a 1965 Mustang that he has recently graphite blasted &
the finished result is impressive. But it seems to me that Graphite particles will present the same problems as sand particles as described
by Jason when the time comes to paint the shell. Can any member, who has been down this road, so to speak, got any advice for me ?
David2010
David2010

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: BLAST THAT OLD PAINT JOB :

Post  turbochargedstu on Tue Mar 05, 2013 11:13 am

im sure you can get blasting done using walnut shells. seen it somewhere and it works well and you wont have any of those problems i suspect you stated above.

stu

turbochargedstu

View user profile

Back to top Go down

BLAST THAT PAINT JOB :

Post  David2010 on Fri Mar 08, 2013 4:02 am

Jason of J & L Engineering is adamant that Soda Blasting is the way to go.
The undesirable after effects of Soda Blasting can be completely neutralised - he says - if all of the body blasted surfaces are washed
down post blasting with clean water. It goes without saying that the surfaces must be immediately dried off, rubbed down & then primed
in ideally a colour different from the final colour (white in my case) so that the final painting can be made easier to see & apply evenly.
So to-morrow my 1966 Mk.II Hornet will be loaded on a trailer until a slot becomes available at Andriu's Irish Cleaning Services.
He has a lot of work in hand at present.
David2010
David2010

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Alex on Fri Mar 08, 2013 1:31 pm

I had my pedal car soda blasted last year by a local chap who's been doing it for years.

I'd have thought it fairly obvious that the surfaces need to be cleaned thoroughly, though they can be left for a considerable time bare without any flash rust appearing, unlike most other processes.
Dipping has a bad rep for leaving stuff in the cavities that can't be cleaned/neutralised and then leaking out over time.
Alex

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top