Trim clips

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Trim clips

Post  elfsave on Sat Mar 30, 2013 6:04 pm

I have always used plastic trim clips which were fitted to vandam plas allegros as they used they used the same size trim and plastic ones don't rot. I bought the 3 packets 20 years ago used one and have lost the others so I have bought more from http://www.bresco.com/ . They cost me £12.50 for 23 delivered 1st class in 2 days This the part 72650P Moulding clip for 7.1mm moulding gap and a 4.8mm panel hole.
Triumph, Austin.
Triumph Stag Hardtop (front)
in plastic (for metal see
BSF079)

elfsave

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Trim clips

Post  Big_Al_Smith on Sat Mar 30, 2013 11:22 pm

nice one - thanks for sharing that Very Happy
Big_Al_Smith

View user profile http://s279.photobucket.com/albums/kk127/bigalsmith_photos/

Back to top Go down

Post  Red Riley on Sat Mar 30, 2013 11:56 pm

Where do those fit on an Elf? They don't look like anything I've got on mine.

Click here to see my latest project! . . . . . . . . . . . . . .Click on the banner above to see my photo gallery.
Red Riley
Admin

View user profile http://smartgraphicmedia.com/

Back to top Go down

trim clips

Post  elfsave on Sun Mar 31, 2013 12:29 am

All the chrome strips on the body are sprung fit over metal clips which rust as they trap water.These replace them on when you re spray the car

elfsave

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Red Riley on Sun Mar 31, 2013 1:19 am

I'm trying to fathom how those fit under the trim. Seems like the pins on top would stand too proud to fit under the trim. Do you nave to cut the pins off or I am missing something? I'm game to try them if they work. It seems like it would be a big improvement over the pop-riveted ones.

Edit: Oh, I think I see. The pins press down to lock them in place. So it would still be necessary to mount the clips first then slide the trim on over them. I was hoping the clips could be put into the trim first and the trim then snapped into the the panel holes as a unit. Mainly the ends of the scuttle trim I'm concerned with as that can be a right pain to get on.

Click here to see my latest project! . . . . . . . . . . . . . .Click on the banner above to see my photo gallery.
Red Riley
Admin

Back to top Go down

Trim clips

Post  elfsave on Sun Mar 31, 2013 11:28 pm

I have always had problems at the ends of the trim beneath the front screen, the reason being is that the clips metal or plastic are too long to fit on the curve of the trim.The solution according to a mate who did his whole car this way was to use that really high adhesion silicon which is about £9 a tube.You have to be able to hold it in place for a couple of hours by some mechanical method but looks bob on but you will bring the paint off if you wanted to get them off.

elfsave

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Red Riley on Mon Apr 01, 2013 12:44 am

Alex Kinsman told me, standing around in the car park at the end of a day during one of the US Mini Meets, that the proper clips for the scuttle trim ends are round rather than the rectangular shaped ones, and that the trick is to slide the ends on first and then snap down the center. At least I think that's what he told me, I may have had a couple by then.

Edit: I wonder if these are the ones he was referring to? http://www.bresco.com/acatalog/info_BSF081P.html

Red Riley
Admin

Back to top Go down

trim clips

Post  elfsave on Mon Apr 01, 2013 4:24 pm

I never thought of using those type which you always find on the top rail of the doors.well done! I have never seen them used anywhere else but I bet it is common knowledge to some people.

elfsave

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Big_Al_Smith on Mon Apr 01, 2013 10:52 pm

quite right - the scuttle ends slide over round clips rivetted onto the body. the picture is not quite the right type but it is the same as the "slide-on" ones on the door frames
Big_Al_Smith

View user profile http://s279.photobucket.com/albums/kk127/bigalsmith_photos/

Back to top Go down

Post  cooper50 on Tue Apr 02, 2013 6:47 pm

these are the same one as on Jaguar chrome strips, as well as Triumph, the correct way to fit them, hook the top of the strip over the top of the clip, make sure the ends are in the correct place, hold the bottom of the strip over the bottom of the clip, then gently tap the moulding over the clips as you go down the strip, hey presto the strip is on. Ialway use the waxoyl in a spray can and coat the clips and the strip to prevent further corrosion,also acts as a lube to assist fitting of the strips,
There is also available a plastic 3 legged version as used on the Triumph Dolomite range of cars from the 70,s, these are easier to fit and dont corrode like the steel ones.
Try David Manners Jaguar Parts in Birmingham and speak to Phil on the trade counter, he will be able to supply you with as many as you need and at a reasonable price,

Happy fitting
Cooper 50

cooper50

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  cooper50 on Tue Apr 02, 2013 6:57 pm

Just a quick not as ive seen it mentioned several times in the above replies

NEVER SLIDE THE CHROME STRIPS ON TO THE CLIPS,
this will always lead to scratches in the paintwork, they are meant to be fitted as described in above comment by me.

Ive been restoring Jaguar, Aston Martin, Rolss Royce for the last 35 years and never fitted then in any other way, never had a scratch or chip whilst fitting these, just watchnow when i come to fit mine i will chip my new paint, lol

cooper50

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top