Welding panels

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Welding panels

Post  Red Riley on Sat May 11, 2013 12:26 am

Is it at all possible to make a clean butt weld on body patches? Bear in mind I'm trying to use a flux core wire-feed MIG welder without any controls other than high-low and min-max. I've tried on scraps and just can't get any kind of presentable weld. I understand that I will need to grind down the welds to get looking good, but I keep burning through, or building up too much weld without good penetration. I keep practicing, but I'm wondering if it's even worth spending time with this welder.

Click here to see my latest project! . . . . . . . . . . . . . .Click on the banner above to see my photo gallery.
Red Riley
Admin

View user profile http://smartgraphicmedia.com/

Back to top Go down

Re: Welding panels

Post  cooper50 on Sat May 11, 2013 11:02 am

hi, all my welding on the current Elf project has been butt welded, I am using a Snap On 200 Mig welder, on 5% argoshield, settings are gas 7psi, power setting at 1, wire speed at 3.5, all the butt weld are seam welded, ground down and dressed smooth, any little pinholes are re-welded and ground down,
It tales a lot of practice to get a nice weld, but then again ive been using Mig Welders for the last 25 years, but still use oxy-acet for some repairs
With the welder you have I would say you are using the torch too close to the body work and your settings are too low, I would try medium and weld for less time, allowing the body/weld to cool down more. You are getting the area too hot, hence the blowing of holes, slow the wire speed down a tad and just practice.
Buttwelding is the only way to go, it makes for a very professional job, patching and over lapping looks and is bodged workmanship and will de-value the end result, not to mention the price of the car will fall with such poor welding.
Iwould suggest you buya book on Mig welding keep at the practice until near perfect before you set to work on the car its self, a good book on the subject will give all the details of faults you could wish for.
Take a look on the Riley Elf facebook page at the welding and restoration of my wifes Elf, all the welding I have done to the bodyshell is on there.

HappyWelding and good luck, just keep practicing, it will happen, patience is a virtue

Dave Casey. (cooper50)

cooper50

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  cooper50 on Sat May 11, 2013 11:11 am

Forgot to say
a cheap welder will produce cheap results, invest in a good quality machine, I have both, a cheap hobby welder and a professional Machine, the difference is like night and day.
I use the cheap one on the bench for spot welding and the pro one on the bodyshell.
As my mentor once told me "cheap tools, cheap job, you never waste you money on quality tools, "

Dave

cooper50

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Red Riley on Sat May 11, 2013 6:23 pm

I guess the first thing is to get a better welder. I'm probably just wasting time with this one. It doesn't even have a wire speed adjustment. Time to ask the wife for a birthday present.

Click here to see my latest project! . . . . . . . . . . . . . .Click on the banner above to see my photo gallery.
Red Riley
Admin

View user profile http://smartgraphicmedia.com/

Back to top Go down

Post  asahartz on Thu May 16, 2013 11:38 pm

The problem is the flux-cored wire. .Read this You need gas on your mig welder for decent results - I use plain CO2 but I have been doing it for years; many people say argoshield gives better results but I haven't noticed - perhaps I don't use it often enough to get the best from it.

I'd also say that a speed control is essential to set it right. The wire speed on most welders also controls the current, which you don't want to be too high or it will blow holes. Exact settings vary from welder to welder so you get used to how you weld and how your machine welds; my son has a similar machine to my own but he uses different settings. He still gets good results - though he hasn't yet developed the skill to butt-weld a patch into a wing and leave it invisible with no more than a couple of grams of filler!
asahartz

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top