How do you get that radiator out?

View previous topic View next topic Go down

How do you get that radiator out?

Post  TheLubeboy on Tue May 21, 2013 10:23 pm

Ok, tried to get my radiator out, as someone removed the drain plug and I want to flush it out good.

first of all it is held in place by the thermostat housing bracket. Removed that, removed upper shroud... how do you get that lower shrould off, I see two bolt, but no way to get to them (I think I could get to them if I worked at it for a few hours) but then how would you ever be able to reach in there to put bolts back?

I tried to remove lower hose and even if I could get that off, radiator still wont clear lower shroud?

Sure somebody has tired this?

Oh, 1965 Elf

TheLubeboy

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: How do you get that radiator out?

Post  cheleker on Wed May 22, 2013 12:40 am

Everyone has their favorite method. I leave the lower hose attached to the radiator and the lower shroud attached to the radiator. What's left for you is to remove the fan (easy job as long as no PO has used bolts that are too long!), then remove the two bolts holding the lower bracket to the bracket on the end of the gearbox (installed at a slight angle). Work through the grille openings to get to them. Make sure you clean them and the captive nut threads they go into while the radiator is out. A little anti-sieze on them won't hurt, either.

cheleker

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  asahartz on Wed May 22, 2013 9:38 pm

With the two-piece shroud it's easier than with the later one-piece.
With the one-piece shroud I take the fan off (fiddly), but with the two-piece shroud I leave the fan in place. Then I take the small grille off the front and use an extension through it to remove the long bolt through the lower radiator bracket. The radiator should then manouvre round the fan with the lower shroud still attached.

It's always a tricky job to get the rad out as whichever place you take the lower hose off, access is tight. The payback is that when you take the engine out it does come complete with the rad!
asahartz

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top