Wee Hairy Scotsman

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Wee Hairy Scotsman

Post  WeegieBob on Sun Sep 22, 2013 11:47 pm

Hi All,

I've had classic cars for the last 20 + years and have recently sold my 1957 Chevrolet of 16 years to take on a new challenge.

Back in the dim and distant past I was heavily into Minis (both versions Very Happy ) as a schoolboy and adult and one enduring memory has stuck with me since the early 1970's when my big brother bought a Hornet in Yukon Grey / Birch Grey (I think) and I was blown away by the style, leather & walnut. I've recently started my search, however as you all know Hornet's aren't exactly parked on every street corner as they were in Glasgow when my brother bought his.

I've joined your group to re-learn all the stuff I've forgotten, although for some odd reason I can still remember the cylinder head I lusted after for one of my Mini's years ago, a 12G295 head, but could never afford one as I was only earning £11.50 in 1972 as a recruit Fireman with Glasgow Fire Service! The other reason for joining to see what's available for sale from members such as yourselves - I hope that's acceptable?

Nowadays I'm an Associate Research Fellow with Glasgow Museums, based in the new Riverside [transport] Museum, where I'm heavily involved with in depth motorised transport research of the late 19th / early 20th centuries, currently focusing on Argyll motor cars (1895>1927). I consider myself extremely fortunate doing this work as (for me) its so interesting to discover that little gem of information after days of wading through archives, web searches and 'talking' with the owners of the few remaining Argyll's from all over the world.

Really looking forward to meeting & learning from you all. WeegieBob.Wink
WeegieBob

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Wee Hairy Scotsman

Post  Big_Al_Smith on Mon Sep 23, 2013 7:59 pm

good luck with your search chum Very Happy 
Big_Al_Smith

View user profile http://s279.photobucket.com/albums/kk127/bigalsmith_photos/

Back to top Go down

Post  WeegieBob on Mon Sep 23, 2013 8:57 pm

Thanks Big Al. Wink
WeegieBob

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Wee Hairy Scotsman

Post  1071kev on Sun Sep 29, 2013 10:18 pm

Hi Weegie Bob,

Welcome to the land of Elfs and Hornets. Hope you find what you're looking for. I'm from Dumbarton and have a few Elfs and 12G295's. I'll have to pop into the museum for a chat. Also, I pass the Argyll Motor Works on my way to work. Good to have you on board.

1071kev

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  WeegieBob on Mon Sep 30, 2013 10:32 am

Thanks for the welcome Kev.

Please don't hesitate to drop into the museum, I'm there most days - just ask at the front Reception Desk if Bob, the Guide Organiser is signed in and if I am could they call me. Best time is mornings - 10.00 > 12.00 (except Fridays as we don't open until 11.00). Wink 
WeegieBob

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  1071kev on Mon Sep 30, 2013 10:23 pm

Thanks Bob, I'll get in sometime and track you down.

Kev

1071kev

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top