1968 Hornet Named MATER

View previous topic View next topic Go down

1968 Hornet Named MATER

Post  brobins2011 on Sat Jun 07, 2014 2:35 pm

Hi all hope you are well!

Here is MATER as he is named (from the film cars)

He has not made any progress as of yet, but here are some pictures of him.

Would anyone want to help me remove the front subframe and engine? PLEASE!!

I cant take it out by my self, and unless its out i cant start the welding on the floor. As i plan on getting a roll-over spit/jig it cant have the engine.

I am also in a garage which isn't located at my house it is in a little garage complex but they have no power so its all hand tools at the moment so if anyone has a spaces that it could be moved to so the welding can be done ASAP then I would really appreciate it, I am planning on moving back up to Leicestershire to get an apprenticeship, so a garage either their or in Kent.


back to MATER, I am planning on having him a brown, with reverse steelies, lowered and 3" side exit exhaust,
but the engine will be an 1100cc bored out to 1217cc by Keith Calvers machine shop, with a medium spec cam, etc... so it will be a punchy little engine.


here is the 33 photos of pictures that i have taken!

http://s1160.photobucket.com/user/brobins2011/library/?sort=3&page=1

Thanks
avatar
brobins2011

Posts : 21
Points : 1227
Join date : 2014-03-19
Age : 20
Location : Kent

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: 1968 Hornet Named MATER

Post  Raggerty on Tue Jun 17, 2014 11:06 pm

Dude your Photobucket photo's are private so can't view them. Shocked
avatar
Raggerty

Posts : 26
Points : 1744
Join date : 2012-10-18

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: 1968 Hornet Named MATER

Post  brobins2011 on Sun Jun 29, 2014 2:57 am

Raggerty wrote:Dude your Photobucket photo's are private so can't view them. Shocked

sorry man, finally figured out how you remove the private setting. Feel free to have a look now.
sorry for the inconvenience
Cheers Very Happy 
avatar
brobins2011

Posts : 21
Points : 1227
Join date : 2014-03-19
Age : 20
Location : Kent

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: 1968 Hornet Named MATER

Post  Jared Mk3 on Sun Jun 29, 2014 11:16 am

Looks like a good project you have there mate. It'll look nice with those light covers on too.
avatar
Jared Mk3

Posts : 624
Points : 2605
Join date : 2012-02-21
Age : 24
Location : Kokstad, South Africa

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: 1968 Hornet Named MATER

Post  Raggerty on Sun Jun 29, 2014 6:52 pm

Great.
Gonna need a bit of work that one.
What's the next step going to be? Very Happy 
avatar
Raggerty

Posts : 26
Points : 1744
Join date : 2012-10-18

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: 1968 Hornet Named MATER

Post  brobins2011 on Mon Jun 30, 2014 1:23 am

Jared Mk3 wrote:Looks like a good project you have there mate. It'll look nice with those light covers on too.

Thanks, going for the retro vibe.... but have a spare set of those of Lucas Headlight covers as i managed to buy a NOS pair. If your interested.  Smile 
avatar
brobins2011

Posts : 21
Points : 1227
Join date : 2014-03-19
Age : 20
Location : Kent

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: 1968 Hornet Named MATER

Post  brobins2011 on Mon Jun 30, 2014 1:35 am

Raggerty wrote:Great.
Gonna need a bit of work that one.
What's the next step going to be? Very Happy 

Yeah a lot of work!

I just moved house so it is in the garage at the moment but it is just in storage.

Remove the Engine, Subframe, Gearbox and Suspension

Get a Roll Over Spit jig

Get a whole new Floor already assembled and just replace the entire floor in one go.

rebuild the suspension with dry set up.

1100cc engine bored and tuned to a 1217cc

Side exit 3" exhaust like most minis.

Cooper S brakes 7.5"

4.5" Cream/White reverse Cooper S rims. with A032 Tyres

Either Gloss/Metallic Brown with nice paint or Leave the rust/patina for now.

Interior will be period or stock.

But I love the 60's retro style and beetles have metal dashboards which are retro and would look great in the hornet. Some people love the idea, some people hate the idea. but i don't like the MDF dashboards that much to common and plain IMO and 1 & 3 binnacle set ups are not practical if you use it for a daily.

Possibly get some innocenti windows with the quarter lights in them as they are just so F'ing Cool!

Group 2 arches maybe depending on the poke of the 4.5" rims.

Twin tank, with just one filler neck.

all i can think of at half eleven.... Sleep 



***********Progress is Very Slow!*********************

17 & Broke. Plus not much can be done until i have the £500 FLOOR so its not a top prioity. Stay tuned though as a new job may be around the corner so might just be 17 & Slightly Less Broke.

Cheers
avatar
brobins2011

Posts : 21
Points : 1227
Join date : 2014-03-19
Age : 20
Location : Kent

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: 1968 Hornet Named MATER

Post  Raggerty on Mon Jun 30, 2014 4:23 pm

Good to have it all planned out.
Just a wee bit of advice.
Buying a whole floor from MiniMachine etc costs twice as much as buying 2 sides with out the tunnel.
Do you know about MiniMachine?
http://www.m-machine.co.uk/
If your present subframes,hydro are salvageable it would be more cost effective to restore what you have.
You'll need 2 new dry subframes,radius arms,front top arms,donuts etc otherwise.
Does your car have an 1100 then?
Usually have a 998.
If your broke then obviously saving cash would be a priority so i'd steer clear of tuning an engine at the mo
and stick with getting the shell sorted first.
I think you might be surprised by how much actually needs doing.
As for the '60s retro style.
It IS '60s retro so you just need to stick with what you have and restore it.
I'd stick with a '60s colour.
Dash,again nothing beats '60s trim and the 3 clock original.
These guys (along with others) do original spec interior stuff.
http://www.newtoncomm.co.uk/cars/classic-mini/model-26/
If you want a Beetle dash buy a Beetle lol.
Innocenti stuff is like hens teeth and costs a fortune so why bother?
None of this is meant as a criticism in any way.
Just a few ideas to think about.
My first Mini was a 1275GT which i got in 1982 when i was your age lol.
It was a very early one and basically i just screwed it up bolting crap on it thinking it was cool when it wasn't.
Elfs/Hornets are now very rare and unfortunately are not really seen as being very valuable compared with say a Mk1 Mini or Cooper.
You could easily spend four/five times it's worth just on body work and paint let alone any "mods". What a Face 
If you want it to be REALLY cool then do the best job restoring it to original spec with mods like "S" brakes etc. Cool 
My other car is a BNR32 from '89 (which is like the original Cooper S as it was a homologation special built for racing untill it was banned lol) and i DO NOT stick anything on it that is not from that time period and from Japan (it is highly tuned but with quality,period Jap stuff like a Downton Cooper S has period '60s tuning stuff etc) otherwise it is undermining the essence of the car and devaluing it.
IMO the best cars are standard or with a '60s racing theme or somewhere inbetween but i'm an old git lol. pirat
Good luck and keep up with updates. cheers
avatar
Raggerty

Posts : 26
Points : 1744
Join date : 2012-10-18

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: 1968 Hornet Named MATER

Post  brobins2011 on Mon Jun 30, 2014 4:42 pm

Raggerty wrote:Good to have it all planned out.
Just a wee bit of advice.
Buying a whole floor from MiniMachine etc costs twice as much as buying 2 sides with out the tunnel.
Do you know about MiniMachine?
http://www.m-machine.co.uk/
If your present subframes,hydro are salvageable it would be more cost effective to restore what you have.
You'll need 2 new dry subframes,radius arms,front top arms,donuts etc otherwise.
Does your car have an 1100 then?
Usually have a 998.
If your broke then obviously saving cash would be a priority so i'd steer clear of tuning an engine at the mo
and stick with getting the shell sorted first.
I think you might be surprised by how much actually needs doing.
As for the '60s retro style.
It IS '60s retro so you just need to stick with what you have and restore it.
I'd stick with a '60s colour.
Dash,again nothing beats '60s trim and the 3 clock original.
These guys (along with others) do original spec interior stuff.
http://www.newtoncomm.co.uk/cars/classic-mini/model-26/
If you want a Beetle dash buy a Beetle lol.
Innocenti stuff is like hens teeth and costs a fortune so why bother?
None of this is meant as a criticism in any way.
Just a few ideas to think about.
My first Mini was a 1275GT which i got in 1982 when i was your age lol.
It was a very early one and basically i just screwed it up bolting crap on it thinking it was cool when it wasn't.
Elfs/Hornets are now very rare and unfortunately are not really seen as being very valuable compared with say a Mk1 Mini or Cooper.
You could easily spend four/five times it's worth just on body work and paint let alone any "mods". What a Face 
If you want it to be REALLY cool then do the best job restoring it to original spec with mods like "S" brakes etc. Cool 
My other car is a BNR32 from '89 (which is like the original Cooper S as it was a homologation special built for racing untill it was banned lol) and i DO NOT stick anything on it that is not from that time period and from Japan (it is highly tuned but with quality,period Jap stuff like a Downton Cooper S has period '60s tuning stuff etc) otherwise it is undermining the essence of the car and devaluing it.
IMO the best cars are standard or with a '60s racing theme or somewhere inbetween but i'm an old git lol. pirat
Good luck and keep up with updates. cheers


Yeah i understand what you are saying.

Stuff like the beetle dash, innocenti doors and stuff will be unlikely to happen just ideas I dream of. ( a guy did make a mould of a metal beetle dash and made it into a GRP one so I could always get one like that so I don't ruin the cars dash and can remove it if needs be.

I will keep it period as I am not putting sport packs or anything on it,

the engine is original and is a 998cc but pretty sure that its seized and my dad managed to buy a 1100cc fully turning and all there gearbox, head, rocker cover, all internals, main block everything for £35 so he said he will get Keith Calver to work his magic on it and he will pay for it but that it least of my concerns.


Trust me i know how much work needs doing, and the floor is about £500 with tunnel and cross members already in place. to just have it separate is about £200 so just depends on how much needs replacing when i roll it over.

I plan to upgrade all of the suspension and stuff with DSN Billet Aluminium pieces as and when I have the cash. would be nice to have 60's colour and then 2014 precision parts underneath.

I'm not a boy racer, or a mini novice I have always been into minis and run this page http://instagram.com/classic_minis

I want to keep it period more than original, tasteful mods.... stuff that can be reversed with minor work if that makes sense to you.

whilst doing the daily eBay search for minis and hornets i stumbled across this which is the same colour as mine i think ( mines dove grey but extremely crusty and worn)
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/RILEY-ELF-WOLSELEY-HORNET-MK1-2-MINI-COMPLEAT-GRAY-SEATS-INTERIOR-GOOD-61-69-/380936222081?pt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&hash=item58b1917581

I would prefer to use Dry suspension as its easier to use IMO but if mine will pump back up and hold the liquid then Ill use that.

That's my view.... I wish I had a mini too so I could bolt on some of the more boy racer parts like 13" wheels with wide arches... but I feel limited with the hornet but It was free and I know its rarity so I'm not gonna butcher it up.

 Very Happy Brandon R.
avatar
brobins2011

Posts : 21
Points : 1227
Join date : 2014-03-19
Age : 20
Location : Kent

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: 1968 Hornet Named MATER

Post  Jared Mk3 on Mon Jun 30, 2014 6:41 pm

brobins2011 wrote:
Jared Mk3 wrote:Looks like a good project you have there mate. It'll look nice with those light covers on too.

Thanks, going for the retro vibe.... but have a spare set of those of Lucas Headlight covers as i managed to buy a NOS pair. If your interested.   Smile 

Thanks mate, but I also managed to get a NOS set at the end of last year for my baby Smile 
avatar
Jared Mk3

Posts : 624
Points : 2605
Join date : 2012-02-21
Age : 24
Location : Kokstad, South Africa

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: 1968 Hornet Named MATER

Post  Raggerty on Mon Jun 30, 2014 7:50 pm

Great.
Can't go wrong with Keith Calver. Cool 
I knew him when he worked at Mini Spares in the early '80s when it was at Friern Barnet Road.
Rupert Fish's interior is a bit steep if you ask me.
You missed out on this one.
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Riley-Elf-or-Wolseley-Hornet-Front-And-Rear-Seats-In-Grey-/251547336645?pt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&hash=item3a9163bfc5&nma=true&si=tYSjI%252FP%252FY2UB4iCYjRheFkE3vx0%253D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2557
His rear valences are great.
If the hydros ok you can pick up a pump sometimes for £50 on ebay.
A doddle to use.
Hydro is great if used with competition bump stops and front shocks.
Anyway blablabla!! Suspect 
Good luck. Very Happy
avatar
Raggerty

Posts : 26
Points : 1744
Join date : 2012-10-18

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: 1968 Hornet Named MATER

Post  brobins2011 on Mon Jun 30, 2014 8:02 pm

Raggerty wrote:Great.
Can't go wrong with Keith Calver. Cool 
I knew him when he worked at Mini Spares in the early '80s when it was at Friern Barnet Road.
Rupert Fish's interior is a bit steep if you ask me.
You missed out on this one.
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Riley-Elf-or-Wolseley-Hornet-Front-And-Rear-Seats-In-Grey-/251547336645?pt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&hash=item3a9163bfc5&nma=true&si=tYSjI%252FP%252FY2UB4iCYjRheFkE3vx0%253D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2557
His rear valences are great.
If the hydros ok you can pick up a pump sometimes for £50 on ebay.
A doddle to use.
Hydro is great if used with competition bump stops and front shocks.
Anyway blablabla!! Suspect 
Good luck. Very Happy


I did see that one but couldn't afford it....typical as that is dove grey so it would have been perfect.

Thanks for all your advice and everything I'll be sure to keep it on the road and keep you all updated.
avatar
brobins2011

Posts : 21
Points : 1227
Join date : 2014-03-19
Age : 20
Location : Kent

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: 1968 Hornet Named MATER

Post  Sponsored content


Sponsored content


Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

- Similar topics

 
Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum