MK 3 elf doors

View previous topic View next topic Go down

MK 3 elf doors

Post  rocket mike on Sat Jan 03, 2015 2:16 pm

Hi chaps
I am having a problem with the off side door on my elf . when the cars was purchased it was "tight" in the frame. I believe it is original but it was full of filler & chicken wire !
now the sills & inner wing have been replaced & the door re-skinned using heritage mk 3 skin it binds on the frame near the hinges & will not close, the fit is now worse than original
we have done the same on the near side ie. inner outer sill inner wing door post & had no problem there , the shell was braced across the openings & side to side all the measurements are the same as before we started so I think the door is @ fault

a close inspection shows the frame to have been modified in the past ! i.e. the hinge face is twisted / sunken

I have tried a brand new heritage mk3 mini door & it fits perfectly even gaps correct clearances etc. also tried an old mk3 door & this also fits & does what it should

looking @ the Elf door & the mini doors the area around the lock is different

so the question is can I substitute a mark3 mini door that fits but change the lock area from my obviously twisted elf door to the mini frame ? I have all the original locks fittings etc.

has any one done this ?

rocket mike

View user profile

Back to top Go down

MK 3 ELF DOORS :

Post  David2010 on Sun Jan 04, 2015 12:08 am

I was always of the opinion that there were three different Mini doors produced by BMC " back in the day ".
Door # 1 : With external hinges & sliding windows fits all Mk.I Minis and all Mk.I AND Mk.II Elfs & Hornets.
Door # 2 : Internal hinges & wind-up windows fits all Minis from 1969 onwards.
Door # 3 : Internal hinges & wind-up windows fits Mk.III Elfs & Hornets only.

From the above, a Door # 2 will not fit a Mk.III Elf or Hornet because that Mini door is too short !
David2010
David2010

View user profile

Back to top Go down

mk 3 ELF OFF SIDE DOOR

Post  rocket mike on Sun Mar 08, 2015 8:23 pm

further to my last post finally got the door to fit as it should after trying lots of different packers, twisting the door, swearing etc.& refitting the mini door (that i knew fitted ok just to convince my self i was not going mad ) I had a eureka moment looking @ the doors side on the window frame on the Elf door appeared to be less swept back @ the front than the mini door , nothing to loose i took a large mallet and block of wood to the frame & gave it a couple of modifying taps re fitted the door and it fitted much better , so i then gave the the door post & the winscreen frame a couple of taps
refitted the door again & result almost perfect fit a few more taps to the door step & quarter panel corner & now have even gaps all round with no binding , temporally refitted the new A panel & wing to make sure every thing lines up & it all looks ok, result !!

rocket mike

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: MK 3 elf doors

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top