1966 Riley Elf Super Deluxe

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Post  Bryanthemercman on Tue Jun 02, 2015 9:08 pm

Good News of a sort my colleague called me today to say that "Elfie" has got good oil pressure 75lbs from cold and 25lbs when idling however he did point out there is a knock on start up that may need attention. I will be checking it out on Friday and make a decision as whether I overhaul the engine or swop it for an second hand "A+" engine I would prefer to overhaul the original to keep all the numbers correct for the heritage certificate. I have not yet applied for a heritage certificate do you think this is a good thing?
What oil do you recommend for this engine I always used Castrol 20/50 in the old days?
Bryanthemercman

View user profile http://www.Letmefinduacar.co.uk

Back to top Go down

Re: 1966 Riley Elf Super Deluxe

Post  boris710 on Tue Jun 02, 2015 9:33 pm

At ;east you now know its not completely knackered and at least runs ! Castrol GTX is my 'oil of choice' for older Mini engines. Halfrauds do a "Classic" oil as well that may be worth a try ?

My car has already been fitted with an A+ engine but if you have the original engine it would be better to rebuild that one I would have thought.

The only good thing about already having a 998cc A+ engine is that there will be no major issues when I change it for a rebuilt 1275cc engine that I plan to get bored out to 1293cc ! Wink Cool
boris710

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Big_Al_Smith on Tue Jun 02, 2015 9:47 pm

Any 20-50 will do really. Maybe run the A+ while the original is re-built?
Big_Al_Smith

View user profile http://s279.photobucket.com/albums/kk127/bigalsmith_photos/

Back to top Go down

Engine

Post  Bryanthemercman on Thu Jun 18, 2015 12:26 pm

Shocked Bad news I have been told the engine I have purchased can not be used on my "Elfie" as so many items are different. So I am going to have to sell it on. I have found someone to recondition my original engine and I am looking at a big bill? Neutral
It just as well that I will have matching numbers and will be doing the interior and electrics myself. I am currently rebuilding an alternator which I intend to fit taken from a MGF.
I also now have a steering column c/w steering lock and column mounted switches and a speedo head from a later car to fit. Very Happy

Last edited by Bryanthemercman on Fri Jun 19, 2015 6:44 pm; edited 1 time in total
Bryanthemercman

Back to top Go down

Post  Bryanthemercman on Fri Jun 19, 2015 6:44 pm

Hi Guys,
19:06:2015
I have now arranged for my engine to be re-built by "Machining Services" they come highly recommended the owner is from New Zealand. Once the engine and gearbox has been removed I will bring her home to strip out ready for the body-shop who will can't take the car till August. I will not have the engine fitted until the bodywork has been completed.

It will also give me a chance to prepare the wiring harness and get the seats re upholstered and obtain a Heated Rear Window which I would like to fit. Thanks to Boris I now have my under dash panels which I am planning to have veneered to match my existing dash. I have rebuilt an Alternator from a MGF to fit in place of the Dynamo to suppory my upgraded electrics.
Bryanthemercman

Back to top Go down

Post  boris710 on Fri Jun 19, 2015 9:47 pm

It'll be all the more worth it once the wait is over. Cool
Hope the Under Dash Panels work out for you.
They have worked well in mine so far although the securing arrangement to the underside of the dash shelf could be a bit better. ......... but I have a solution for that !!! Wink Very Happy
boris710

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Bryanthemercman on Sat Jun 20, 2015 12:31 pm

Hi Boris,
Regarding securing to underdash panel I would suggest that I incorporate a fixing strong enough to take the bonnet pull cable as well. The only additional I will be adding will be a power socket and a couple of switches
Bryanthemercman

Back to top Go down

Post  boris710 on Sat Jun 20, 2015 2:54 pm

Yes Bryan. Thats a very good idea. I will probably modify mine at the next opportunity.

I lowered the bracket for the bonnet release so that I can still access it behind the under dash panel.
Nothing wrong in making it come through the panel though.
As with all things 'Mini' ('Elf'!) its down to induividual taste and whatever works for you. Cool
boris710

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Body Restoration so far

Post  Bryanthemercman on Thu Sep 24, 2015 7:49 pm

No Well I had the biggest shock of my life when my body shop asked me to come in and survey my Elf I booked it in for floor panels and sills and a few repairs. It turns out someone in its past life tried to modify a mini front panel and the result is filler and more filler. I am not only having to replace the whole floor and this has been patched and in some placed there are double panels? I now have to replace the Front wings and Front panel complete luckily I have found a company that can make a front panel as they have the moulds (See Links)
I will add a link if anyone wants to see the pictures.
Bryanthemercman

Back to top Go down

Post  boris710 on Thu Sep 24, 2015 8:09 pm

Always a possibility of finding much more trouble than you thought of once you start any 'resto' affraid
My mate rekons that if you estimate the amount of work (& cost) needed before you start then double it and add £500 more and if you are very very lucky it may just cover the costs !!! Rolling Eyes confused study

The only good thing about uncovering all the "nasty's" is that when you have rectified them all properly you will know much more about where you stand with the car for the future. sunny Good luck with the ongoing project. Put up some pics if you get any. Shocked
boris710

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Jared Mk3 on Thu Sep 24, 2015 8:14 pm

Glad this was found now and not later on when it could have caused a lot more hassle. I don't think you'll regret having the work done to the standard that you see fit. Good luck Smile
Jared Mk3

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Bodywork

Post  Bryanthemercman on Fri Sep 25, 2015 12:27 pm

I have just ordered the new front panel. I don't know if you spotted my entry on the Links blog I found a company that still has the tools to press these panels. In fact they do all the panels so at least I know I will have a great car at the end sometime next year I suspect. They are expensive but for a 49yr old car I had to be prepared for something like this.
There are pictures on my Facebook page but I may add them to a Dropbox account so that anyone can view them.

Last edited by Bryanthemercman on Sun Nov 01, 2015 6:00 pm; edited 1 time in total
Bryanthemercman

Back to top Go down

Post  Bryanthemercman on Sun Nov 01, 2015 5:59 pm

Well its now November and I am still waiting for a new front panel for Elfie. I will be chasing M-Machine on Monday to find out an eta for delivery. I have had to replace all the front panels as the originals were not worth saving. I now have to get going also on the wiring looms. As you know I am building the looms myself as I am using a modular system. For those of you who don't know what a modular system is I will explain.
In simple terms I will be fitting a Fuse and Relay box to be mounted approx where the washer bottle once sat on the bulkhead. I will not be using the 2 fuse system that was standard fitment. The Fuel Pump, Lights, and Ignition will all be powered by relays and individual fuses for consumers. I will also have 2 spd wipers with Intermittent and electric washers. A steering lock and Tracker system hidden away. I have done away with the foot dip switch and it will be replaced by a column mounted dip switch with headlamp flash and wiper controls.
It Elfies 50th birthday next year so I am looking to have him finished in time for his Birthday.

Bryanthemercman

Back to top Go down

Post  boris710 on Mon Nov 02, 2015 11:02 am

Its surprising where the time goes when you are waiting on 'other people' to supply parts and how a restoration project can 'snowball' and drag out.  
If it were me I would look at fitting the relays and fuses inside the car as the engine bay environment is not a good place for electrics and you may have less winter electrical gremlins in the future by doing so.  I have done this on other Mini projects in the past and it makes a big difference !
For me its always a tricky point about just how far to take 'modifications' on any Classic car project.  Weighing up how to make the car more user friendly but still keeping the character of the period when it was made is a fine line.  Its down to individual choice of course and how much you intend to use the car - if its going to be a 'fine weather only' Classic then living with a few 'issues' is probably better than 'modding' it up to more like a present day car which would be possibly better for a 'daily driver'

Your Elf is an earlier car than my 68 Mk3 as I dont have the floor dipswitch (unfortunately!) or the sliding windows (again unfortunately!) so I can retain much more of its original features without too much inconvienience.

Good luck with whatever you decide to do though as I'm sure it will be 'right' for you.  
ALL 'Minis' were always individual cars unless kept absolutely 'factory standard' (which was mostly never done!) by their subsequent owners.
Keep us updated. Cool
boris710

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Bryanthemercman on Mon Nov 02, 2015 10:07 pm

Boris I have taken on board what you are saying and as you know I am a qualified Auto Electrician. I have considered moving inside as you suggested but as you know space in a premium on these cars. The module box measures 165mm x 115mm and is approx 67mm high I may look to mount it on the nearside kick panel so it is close to were the rear loom meets the front loom?
I wanted to add a picture to show you but I can't find how? Crying or Very sad
Bryanthemercman

Back to top Go down

Progress

Post  Bryanthemercman on Fri Dec 18, 2015 6:28 pm

Laughing Good Day All.
My Riley has now had all the bodywork completed and it has been moved to the paintshop. The whole front of the car has been replaced Wings, Front Panel, Inner wings, A Panels, Floors, Seat Crossmember, Inner & Outer sills basically the whole of the front from the windscreen forward. It would appear that someone tried to hide the very poor previous repairs as for example the sills new panels had been fitted over the existing panels. I will be hopefully fitting the new wiring loom in January before the car is trimmed. I have had all the dash panels re veneered in Burr Walnut and I have been asked by some magazines to feature the restoration. There are some pictures on my Facebook pages but most of the pictures are on my Google Drive at present.
Needless to say this has cost a lot of my savings I am well over my budget but at least I will something to admire and enjoy. affraid
Bryanthemercman

Back to top Go down

Post  Red Riley on Fri Dec 18, 2015 8:40 pm

Pictures or it didn't happen! Tried your FB linky but no luck.

Click here to see my latest project! . . . . . . . . . . . . . .Click on the banner above to see my photo gallery.
Red Riley
Admin

View user profile http://smartgraphicmedia.com/

Back to top Go down

Post  Jared Mk3 on Fri Dec 18, 2015 11:23 pm

Red Riley wrote:Pictures or it didn't happen! Tried your FB linky but no luck.

Yes, pictures please. Sounds like a lot of work has gone into this.
Jared Mk3

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Pictures

Post  Bryanthemercman on Sun Dec 20, 2015 3:43 pm

Firstly Guys I would like to wish you all a very Merry Christmas and Happy New Year. Project 1966 Riley Elf Super Deluxe continues to make progress despite the many setbacks. She in now in the paintshop and will emerge in the new year. I will then assess the electrics and start the rewire before she goes to the trimmers. I have been advised to renew all the brake lines by the bodyshop so that will be carried out before the engine etc is refitted.
Here is a link to a selection of pictures let me know if it does not work. I have others on my own hard drive. Which will be added soon.

https://drive.google.com/folderview?id=0B3wptav_bCfjMk0xbUJ6WU5zMU0&usp=sharing
Bryanthemercman

Back to top Go down

Post  Jared Mk3 on Sun Dec 20, 2015 6:25 pm

Definitely a lot of work that's been put into this car! Glad another one is being saved Smile
Jared Mk3

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Bryanthemercman on Mon Feb 22, 2016 8:53 pm

Hi to all,
Its been sometime since I last posted any updates on this site on the progress of my restoration. Well the car is currently at long last in the paint shop after replacing a lot of the body panels The front of the car except the subframe is all new as is the floor, inner, outer sills, seat crossmember and steps. The rear subframe was not secured and this has been addressed. Once it is back from the paint shop the rustproofing will be applied and off to the trim shop. I will be hoping to complete all the work including new brake lines, hydrolastic pipes and suspension, brakes overhaul and engine refit in time for the Himley Hall Show in May and the London to Brighton also in May.
Bryanthemercman

Back to top Go down

Post  Jared Mk3 on Fri Feb 26, 2016 10:16 pm

Good news Smile
Jared Mk3

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content