INSTALLING CABLES FRONT TO REAR OF CAR

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Post  patanddavid2000 on Thu Aug 27, 2015 1:55 pm

I would be grateful if someone could give me some advice, please.
I want to run cables from two switches on the dashboard of my 1967 MK3 Hornet, to the rear of the car. These are for a reversing light and heated rear windscreen. I understand that the original cables to the rear of the car go through the roof-space. As the head lining is fairly new and in good condition I am loathe to do this.
I believe that some owners run cables underneath the carpet but I am worried about “short circuits”.
The only other solution I can think of is to run the cables under the car, but these would need to be protected somehow.
Has anyone got any thoughts on the best way of solving my problem

patanddavid2000

View user profile http://patanddavid2000@yahoo.co.uk

Back to top Go down

Re: INSTALLING CABLES FRONT TO REAR OF CAR

Post  boris710 on Thu Aug 27, 2015 3:34 pm

I have always run the cables under the carpets and under any underfelt as well and if possible in one of the floor body panel recess channels.
Take a little time to get the cables under the front seat 'box section' (use a length of stiff wire as a 'pull through") as this makes for a much neater and invisible safer cable run. Cables can be held in the floor recesses by using small pieces of insulation tape across the top - after all, who's gonna know they are there apart from you ???
Try to run the cables away from where anyones feet would normally be on the carpets. Next to the centre exhaust dome is a good option and allow some spare cable to make the drop down from the dash to the floor to be hidden safely behind the carpet sections as well.

This is the way I have always added wiring in all my past Minis and, to date, I have never had any problems with electrical "short circuiting"

I agree that any disturbing of the cars headlining is not a good option as neither is running cables external to the cars bodywork.

Hope this helps ???

boris
boris710

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Red Riley on Thu Aug 27, 2015 10:28 pm

Run them under the carpet at the outer edges of the floor, then through the the rear side bin and up and over the wheel well into the boot. If you pull out the rear seat and the rear bin liners, you should find that there is space to go between the rear seat panel and the outer shell. See where the wires disappear under the sound deadener above the wheel well? If you get lucky there may already be a hole from under the rear seat into the side bin. If you are worried about the wires being trod on and damages, use some small sized spiral loom to run the wires through.

Click here to see my latest project! . . . . . . . . . . . . . .Click on the banner above to see my photo gallery.
Red Riley
Admin

View user profile http://smartgraphicmedia.com/

Back to top Go down

Post  patanddavid2000 on Tue Sep 15, 2015 2:31 pm

The cables are now safely tucked away under the carpet. Many thanks for all your advice

Patricia

patanddavid2000

View user profile http://patanddavid2000@yahoo.co.uk

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top