Hornet front side grills not fitting

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Hornet front side grills not fitting

Post  tomread on Mon Jul 17, 2017 11:22 pm

Im currently rebuilding my 1965 hornet and have went to fit the front grill with indicators and side lights
But i have a massive gap rounf the end where it's supposed to follow the curve of the front panel

I did buy and ne front panel from some where was very expensive was made to order im assuming this is what has caused this

Any ideas to help me solve my problem?
Will post some pics soon
All ideas will help
Thanks
Tom

tomread

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Hornet front side grills not fitting

Post  tomread on Tue Jul 18, 2017 11:18 am

tomread

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  cheleker on Tue Jul 18, 2017 10:57 pm

The photos are good, and I can't be sure, but it doesn't look like the side grille assembly is at fault. It looks like the body panel is wrong. Others will have to confirm, though.

cheleker

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  tomread on Tue Jul 18, 2017 11:00 pm

cheleker wrote:The photos are good, and I can't be sure, but it doesn't look like the side grille assembly is at fault. It looks like the body panel is wrong. Others will have to confirm, though.
I know the panel is wrong which i paid alot of money for but cant remember who i brought it off
I was just wondering if anyone had any ideas i can make its work kinda?
Was thinking maybe some rubber trim to put round the edge ?

tomread

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Red Riley Yesterday at 10:54 pm

Yep, that's the line they are supposed to follow. Even the most expensive panels need some fettling since they are usually based on Mini panels. The remedy involves hammers and dollies. Shame you painted it first. You could try making some thick pads using a generic rubber panel edge molding, but it's not going to look right. Maybe you use some heavy felt padding to protect the paint, and gently hammer the necessary curve into the panel without buggering up the paint too badly. The best lessons are the ones most painfully learned. For what it's worth, the ones on my car don't line up very well, either. Sad Sad

Click here to see my latest project! . . . . . . . . . . . . . .Click on the banner above to see my photo gallery.
Red Riley
Admin

View user profile http://smartgraphicmedia.com/

Back to top Go down

U

Post  tomread Today at 12:19 am

Red Riley wrote:Yep, that's the line they are supposed to follow. Even the most expensive panels need some fettling since they are usually based on Mini panels. The remedy involves hammers and dollies. Shame you painted it first. You could try making some thick pads using a generic rubber panel edge molding, but it's not going to look right. Maybe you use some heavy felt padding to protect the paint, and gently hammer the necessary curve into the panel without buggering up the paint too badly. The best lessons are the ones most painfully learned. For what it's worth, the ones on my car don't line up very well, either. Sad Sad

Its such ashame after splashing out so much money to get it painted, so for now i have fitted the indicators with no grill, untill i think of a better solution
Over 2 and a half years its nearly ready just the last parts to go but keep hitting brick wall

tomread

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  tomread Today at 12:21 am

tomread

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  cheleker Today at 12:42 am

"Pretty car."

It is probably OK, but it wouldn't hurt to test fit the bonnet, latches and all, to make sure it fits the slam panel OK.

As an aside, the slam panel and the portion of the bonnet that shows through the grill should be black so the bright colors do not show through the grille. Many people forget or, I guess, leave it without the black on purpose. It doesn't look good to me, but based on the number that don't do the blacking, I'm in the minority!

cheleker

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  tomread Today at 12:47 am

cheleker wrote:"Pretty car."

It is probably OK, but it wouldn't hurt to test fit the bonnet, latches and all, to make sure it fits the slam panel OK.

As an aside, the slam panel and the portion of the bonnet that shows through the grill should be black so the bright colors do not show through the grille. Many people forget or, I guess, leave it without the black on purpose. It doesn't look good to me, but based on the number that don't do the blacking, I'm in the minority!

I brought the car in pieces and have not got a bonnet latch or anything so still wondering if i cant get a mini one to fit, as for the colour I didn't think about blacking it out as i i beought it blind and it come in primer, but i am very pleased with it apart from the few problems im running into

tomread

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Red Riley Today at 5:35 am

A Mini remote hood latch will fit. I've got one on mine. Hopefully you have the hood pin and spring, they're like hen's teeth.

Click here to see my latest project! . . . . . . . . . . . . . .Click on the banner above to see my photo gallery.
Red Riley
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  tomread Today at 9:01 am

Red Riley wrote:A Mini remote hood latch will fit. I've got one on mine. Hopefully you have the hood pin and spring, they're like hen's teeth.
Unfortunately indont have the hood pin or the spring Sad
Is the pin just longer? I have ordered a mini pin, hoping i can weld something to make it longer

tomread

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Red Riley Today at 3:07 pm

The pin is the same. You need the spring and the little cup that holds it in. The spring cup is hard to find..

Red Riley
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top