Elf Preservation Society

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Elf Preservation Society

Post  CamelotR on Fri May 15, 2009 1:25 pm

Dear Elf/Hornet Doctors,

I have opened this topic to help those who would like to restore their cars to an original state and would need info. It is always nice to see fine modified cars, but preserving originality is still important.
As there is no book or official support, Your knowledge may be the only way to go through.

Please help if only possible.

Thanks.

CamelotR

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Elf Preservation Society

Post  CamelotR on Fri May 15, 2009 1:37 pm

Let me be the first to ask Smile

I have a mkIII from early 1968.
What kind of heater and choke cables could it have originaly.

MkII minis of the period had theese (from Original Cooper book):

CamelotR

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  CamelotR on Fri May 15, 2009 1:39 pm

I had different in my car. The Heater was a small black button with "Push Heater" white letter logo on its face. The Choke was a bigger rubber item with the choke sign on it.

Question

CamelotR

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  asahartz on Fri May 15, 2009 10:56 pm

Your heater knob was, I think, original - it's what I have in my '67 car. However my later '69 car had the same ones as the picture you posted. Somerford's catalogue suggests that '68 was the changeover year, so either could be correct for your car. But if it is an early one, the heater style is probably correct. The matching choke cable is part no 21A1202 (for a single-carb manual car), at around £15 it's relatively expensive.

In terms of identifying correct original parts, I think you'll find Somerford's catalogue to be the most helpful document available.
asahartz

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  CamelotR on Fri May 15, 2009 11:03 pm

Thanks again. Ironicaly i have just found today the sommerford catalog Very Happy .

Acconding to the Her.Cert. my Elf was produced apr. 68. Dated parts are from 11. 67. to 03. 68. Soo then its fine.

then the choke cable should have a single "C" on it?

CamelotR

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  CamelotR on Fri May 15, 2009 11:05 pm

"at around £15 it's relatively expensive."

Yes, car building is always expensive. But I think the most expensive thing is to buy a cheap part and then be angry for a year and then buy the correct item Very Happy

CamelotR

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  asahartz on Fri May 15, 2009 11:13 pm

So your PVC intake duct is 12A1975. It's not on the price list, but Somerfords can often supply parts that aren't on their price list! Worth contacting them.

I understand what you mean about the cost. Sometimes alternative is OK, but for some things only original will do! I'm not fixed on originality in my cars, but some things i like to keep. Like my proper Elf hub caps, which cost me quite a bit on Ebay, even though they're not perfect.
asahartz

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  CamelotR on Fri May 15, 2009 11:34 pm

My first mini was a 64' mkIV Very Happy . It was not a realy original one, but we liked him. but my finest job was also a 64' this time a woody, which stood 33 years in a barn. It is realy 100% original. Right down to its original dated ignition coil. I have just bought a set of old but useable crossplys to fit them on the show set of wheels Laughing . Monkey-thing I know...

CamelotR

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top