Halogen Bulbs

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Halogen Bulbs

Post  We Are The Mods on Mon Jul 13, 2009 8:43 pm

Ive just Brought a pair of Angel Eyes Headlamps and they run on Halogen

And Gizmo lighting is all Standerd what do i need to get to convert her to Halogen lighting.
We Are The Mods
Admin

View user profile http://theraleighchopper.forumotion.com/index.htm

Back to top Go down

Re: Halogen Bulbs

Post  asahartz on Tue Jul 14, 2009 6:47 pm

Normally nothing - halogen is just a high-efficiency bulb (it refers to the gas in the bulb in fact). My Sky has Wipac halogens and they are a straight swap for the original sealed beams. Just don't touch the bulb glass with your bare fingers (I always wear surgical gloves to handle halogens, even household ones).

Now xenon - that's another matter altogether!
asahartz

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  We Are The Mods on Wed Jul 15, 2009 12:45 am

Thanks
We Are The Mods
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  discoman41 on Wed Jul 15, 2009 2:37 am

The other thing to remember is that if you have a dynamo instead of an alternator, switching to halogens will hardly make any difference at all

Jase
discoman41

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  We Are The Mods on Wed Jul 15, 2009 3:15 pm

She runs on an alternator it even has Electroic Igiton
We Are The Mods
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  bmc1275 on Tue Jul 21, 2009 5:26 pm

I would suggest to change the three pin female socket as mine melted because halogen bulb
comsumes more current.
bmc1275

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  asahartz on Tue Jul 21, 2009 8:53 pm

It shouldn't do! As the wattage is the same (there is a legal maximum), the current has to be the same.
asahartz

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  bmc1275 on Wed Jul 22, 2009 4:06 pm

My apology. If wattage is the same, current consumed should be the same.
However, Halogen bulb is more efficient so it is brighter than sealed beam unit.
Therefore heat created by Halogen should be greater as it emits more light, light is in fact is energy. Brighter light, higher temperature.
Also, old connector tends to have bad connection which creates resistance. Resisteance means higher operating temperature.
So I still recommend to change connector.

HID is entirely different.
bmc1275

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  asahartz on Wed Jul 22, 2009 11:16 pm

While I agree about changing the connector, I'm not sure about the technical reasoning. I agree that the halogen gives off more light, but technically it can only be dissipating the same amount of energy if it's the same wattage (energy is proportional to power - I used to teach Physics!)

The halogen bulb may get hotter - something tells me it should - but the laws of physics don't explain it!
asahartz

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Elf Service on Thu Jul 23, 2009 1:41 am

asahartz wrote:While I agree about changing the connector, I'm not sure about the technical reasoning. I agree that the halogen gives off more light, but technically it can only be dissipating the same amount of energy if it's the same wattage (energy is proportional to power - I used to teach Physics!)

The halogen bulb may get hotter - something tells me it should - but the laws of physics don't explain it!

The temperature of the filament doesn't really matter, its the energy (watts) that really counts as this is the overall heat generated not the temperature. Although both lamp technologies use tungsten filaments, the Halogen principle allows the tungsten to glow hotter as the metal vapours return back to the filament as tungsten metal once cooled, extending the overall lamp life. The traditional lamp cannot run at such high temperatures for two reasons, firstly the glass envelope cannot cope with the higher temperatures (pre-focus lamps) and secondly the protective non oxidising gas (possibly Nitrogen) doesn't return the vapourised Tungsten back to the filament if heated to such high temperatures which would result in very short lamp life..
The issue is down to heat dissipation. The Quartz Halogen lamp is small in comparison to either the old pre focused bulb or sealed beam assembly and consequently has less surface area and needs to transfer this heat to the surrounding objects and as the metal connectors are probably the best heat conductors, the lamp connectors will probably get a little hotter than the equivalent sealed beam assembly. Having said that, as with electric radiant fires the lamp assembly reflector radiates not only the light but also most of the heat. Just put your hand in front of the head lamp (not on the glass) when on full beam and you will feel the radiated heat.
Sorry for the boring anorak stuff but I spent some 15 years working for a couple of heat treatment furnace manufacturers (all sadly gone now) and picked up a few bits of boring stuff re heat transfer. I do have a life away from techy stuff, honest!!

So to answer the question, providing all the wiring and connections are in good clean condition, the electrical fittings should be fine for both lamp technologies. I have upgraded from sealed beam to quartz halogen without any problems.
Elf Service

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  bmc1275 on Thu Jul 23, 2009 5:50 pm

Thank you Elf service for your detaild explanation!
This explains everything.

I have to tell you that I did have melted connector when I upgraded seald beam to halogen bulb in my MK1 Mini.
It is worth checking the condition of the connector and wiring before upgrading.
bmc1275

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  asahartz on Thu Jul 23, 2009 6:28 pm

Elf Service wrote:

The issue is down to heat dissipation. The Quartz Halogen lamp is small in comparison to either the old pre focused bulb or sealed beam assembly and consequently has less surface area and needs to transfer this heat to the surrounding objects and as the metal connectors are probably the best heat conductors, the lamp connectors will probably get a little hotter than the equivalent sealed beam assembly.

I had a feeling in the back of my mind that it might be something like that, but was too tired to explain it properly yesterday!

Thanks for your very clear explanation.
asahartz

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top