Brakes Sticking On

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Brakes Sticking On

Post  hornetob on Thu Jul 23, 2009 1:07 am

Hey Guys and Girls,

I had a really strange problem with my hornet recently, where it felt as thought the car was slowing a lot quicker than usual and the engine was labouring more up hills etc.

It seemed as though a wheel was possibly seizing and with any old car this could have easily been the case with an old CV joint or brakes.

As I was driving further I noticed that the brake pedal wasn't actually returning to its normal position, i.e. it would stay in the 'brakes on' position after applying the brakes.

Knowing that there is quite a sizable spring which acts both on the clutch and brake pedals it seemed strange that this was happening. I though that it must be either the master cylinder, a wheel cylinder or calliper (front disks) which was seizing and so the fluid was not returning.

Having spoken to a friend, Tristan at the Arc Angels (excellent carbon fibre and fibreglass mini parts and panels!) he said that he once had the shaft which the pedals are mounted on seize and this provided similar symptoms.

And so I set about removing the assembly, which was stiff even when on the bench! Once disassembled the shaft was removed, cleaned up with some emery cloth and greased.

I reinstalled the pedal assembly and havent had any problems since, so if anyone comes across a similar problem then its worth a check before ordering brake components or rebuild kits!
hornetob

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Brakes Sticking On

Post  asahartz on Thu Jul 23, 2009 6:30 pm

Good tip. I had a similar problem with an accelerator pedal once, so I can well believe it.
asahartz

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  TONYELF on Thu Jul 23, 2009 10:58 pm

My son in law had the opposite problem,his brakes were not very good. I offered the hint that being an auto the brakes had a harder job than a normal mini with having to "fight the engine power" as well as the weight of the car. I'm sure you will agree with that? Maybe,but not my S-I-L ! Being a six footer (and heavyweight at that!) he perservered and crawled into the tiny space after removing the seat. Nothing seemed amiss.However before putting the seat back he decided to hoover the car out.
First he removed the carpet and found a split pin and realised it was out of the clevis pin on the brake box. A further inpection revealed the clevis pin hanging out! The brake pedal was not getting the leverage required. Problem solved Very Happy Very Happy The car is a joy to drive once more.
So folks when you get the chance check your split pin is in place! That goes for the clutch pedal too!

TONYELF
Admin

View user profile http://www.miniaddicts.co.uk

Back to top Go down

Post  hornetob on Thu Jul 23, 2009 11:03 pm

Sound advice there, it always amuses/shocks me when I see those little clevis and split pins which we all trust with our lives!
hornetob

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  catmint on Fri Jul 24, 2009 6:18 pm

another tip on these pins is to make sure the split pin is in properly and is not too long when the ends are bent over - when the shaft comes back down the pin can stop it returning all the way - took me months to find out why I had an intermittent slipping clutch. An don't use R clips either as they can be pushed out leaving the clevis pin to work free !

I use stainless clevis pins now and short split pins

catmint

View user profile http://www.catmint.biz

Back to top Go down

Post  superworm on Tue Jul 28, 2009 11:21 pm

Yo Catmint...

"I use stainless clevis pins now and short split pins."

Long live Stainless I say.......everywhere where strength requirements allow (nearly everywhere !)

Trouble is the bleedin' retrieval Magnet doesn't work too well any more so if you've gone the stainless route, don't drop 'em!! teehee or lol as they say these days

Cheers
superworm

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top