Rear wheel bearings

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Rear wheel bearings

Post  RobBFG on Sun May 30, 2010 12:22 pm

I've just replaced my passenger side rear wheel bearing and the hub will hardly turn now.

I took out the old bearings and pushed the new bearings in with a rubber mallet using the old bearing as a pusher. I kept the bearing as square as possible all the way in and pushed it all the way into the seat. I greased it all up everywhere I could. When I slid the hub and bearings onto the axle it all went on very easily, and then I put on the washer and hub nut. So far I have only done the nut up to half the torque shown in the Haynes manual but now the hub will barely turn. It does turn smoothly, it's just very tight. I can't see that I've put anything wrong in or left anything out.

Is this normal or have I done something wrong?
RobBFG

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Rear wheel bearings

Post  CamelotR on Sun May 30, 2010 7:06 pm

I have faced the same problem a while ago. I have shimmed the bearings to make the required clearance.

CamelotR

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  superworm on Mon May 31, 2010 12:30 am

Hope I'm not being too presumptious but....

did you put the spacer ring back in??? - goes between the two inner races!.. Note that later taper-roller bearings fitted to Mini "S", 1275 GT don't have this spacer....and they're not tighted up too tight (see manual)

Please remove the hub again and give the inner races a fairly heavy tap/belt .... both sides (use a steel rod drift to make sure that they're butted up to their registers OK....tap around the edge of the race as you go.

If it is still tight, you should tap out the bearings again and measure the depth of the register in the hub and also the spacer...they should almost be identical with the spacer may a thou or two less. If not, make a shim for the inner race as per Camelot's suggestion....although I'm not in favour of this approach.

I must admit I've never had this problem having changed a few bearings in my time....may pay to get another set????????
superworm

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  CamelotR on Mon May 31, 2010 8:33 am

On the front of my Riley I had the opposite problem. I have torqued the bearings down, but they were loose with quite remarkable play. I have tried putting the bearings into another hub with the same results. At the end I had to plan the spacer ring a bit to make it work.

Quality controll problems I think.

CamelotR

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  superworm on Wed Jun 02, 2010 1:01 am

Where y'all getting your bearings from - methinks I'll stay away from those suppliers!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
superworm

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  RobBFG on Wed Jun 02, 2010 8:01 pm

My bearings are a taper set from Moss of Europe.

There was no spacer in the hub when I opened it, and no spacer with the new kit.
RobBFG

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  asahartz on Wed Jun 02, 2010 11:40 pm

Moss- ouch, expensive! Minispares are hard to beat on most things, otherwise Somerfords (they're not too far from you I guess).
asahartz

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  RobBFG on Thu Jun 03, 2010 12:08 am

I usually use Mini Spares because of their prices and service. Somerford are about an hours drive from here and good for harder to get items. Moss are convenient as they're just off my route to work.
RobBFG

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  TONYELF on Thu Jun 03, 2010 2:54 am

I avoid MOSS like the plague. I can't seem to select the type of postage I require and they keep offering me the most expensive ie courier , next day post Evil or Very Mad

TONYELF
Admin

View user profile http://www.miniaddicts.co.uk

Back to top Go down

Post  catmint on Thu Jun 03, 2010 10:35 am

The fitting instructions in the manuals are for the old style ball bearing races - taper bearings do not need torquing up - the way I do them is to tighten them until you can feel some resistance and then back off until the hub spins freely, but with out any play, and then apply the split pin. Probably a good idea to recheck after a few miles. Drove me nuts the first time I fitted them as well. Technically there are a superior bearing type, and adjustable

Hope this helps

catmint

View user profile http://www.catmint.biz

Back to top Go down

Post  TONYELF on Thu Jun 03, 2010 11:59 am

These inferior spare parts offered these days have never been the same since the EU stopped The British Standards being applied. this has opened the floodgates.
This is my opinion as to why I think we should pull out of the EU altogether.
That's me off my soapbox but feel free if you want to correct me Very Happy

(Now you will realise why the elastic in your underpants stretches and doesn't return to it's original length Laughing )

Nothing to do with your expanding waistline Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing as if!

Oh. and beware of the condoms!!!!!!!

TONYELF
Admin

View user profile http://www.miniaddicts.co.uk

Back to top Go down

bearings

Post  Zef on Thu Jun 03, 2010 12:27 pm

Just had a thought. Are you spinning the wheel as you tighten the bearings up? I did a set of taper bearings on a Discovery once and forgot to spin the wheel while tightening. I had all sorts of problems til I worked it out.
Zef

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top