Elf

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Elf

Post  Zef on Thu Sep 02, 2010 12:12 am

Ok so I might as well share why i've been quiet on here. I've shared my photobucket album with what I've been up to thus far. I doubt the photo's are in order (damned photobucket) but you'll get the idea. Very Happy

http://s267.photobucket.com/albums/ii317/zef_1970/Riley%20Elf/

Have fun.
Zef

View user profile

Back to top Go down

:)

Post  brooks on Thu Sep 02, 2010 1:36 am

looks like your doing pretty major rebuild looking good with all the progress your doing. are you looking to put it back to origonal or you looking to do somthing a bit diffrent like me Very Happy
brooks

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Elf

Post  Zef on Thu Sep 02, 2010 8:38 pm

It started out as a floor replacement and i got carried away. The Elf is being modified and brought (tastefully I hope) up to date but I don't want to give too much away Twisted Evil

The observant will have noticed the modifications to the inner wings etc. Before I removed the old ones I had no idea there was (in places) 4 layers of steel. I have still some bulkhead repairs to carry out and repairs to the dashboard before I can start removing and replacing the heelboard. Oh and the REALLY observant might have noticed that I need to "find" the missing (read plated over) floor subframe mounting bolts affraid

Still it's all good fun. I should get the drivers side corner sorted this weekend and be starting on the heelboard by next (fingers crossed)

I've still not decided on the colour yet although I'm leaning towards one of the greys for the body and old english white for the roof and arches. Loads of time before I need to worry about that though. Very Happy
Zef

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  whitebuffalo on Sun Sep 05, 2010 7:24 am

Wow, the car is in pieces! affraid I guess it is best to replace the crusty bits than have them eat through a fresh paint job. Once you take the four layers of metal off you will have a lighter, faster car Very Happy , but rust is lighter than metal Laughing
Can't wait to see it finished. I also like the idea of the gray color scheme.
whitebuffalo

View user profile http://www.moala.org

Back to top Go down

Post  Zef on Wed Sep 08, 2010 11:31 pm

Believe me the weight I've already cut out is way heavier than the fresh steel that's replacing it.

It still needs to come apart some more before I'm done Neutral Still its all good fun and is, mostly, keeping me out of trouble.
Zef

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Zef on Tue Sep 21, 2010 11:06 am

Progress has been slow as there's been a lot more previous bodging found. I've uploaded a few more pics to Photobucket for your enjoyment :-)

Basically I now need to replace both rear outer wheel arches as they were a laminate of fibreglass, steel, thin tin and filler. The floor crossmember was half full of rust and the heelboard was mostly 2 layers of steel.

All good fun :-)
Zef

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Zef on Tue Sep 28, 2010 2:49 pm

Another 10 pictures on the above link. More badly done repairs, this time on the rear quarter panels and thedrivers side rear quarter looks like it has had a hit at some point. You wouldn't believe the depth of filler (around half an inch) hiding the damage. Looks like I'll be adding panel beating skills to my list before long.

I'm beginning to doubt my sanity on starting this project. :-)
Zef

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Big_Al_Smith on Wed Sep 29, 2010 4:24 am

lots of work to do and it is officially worse than my own "rusty"!

keep at it and you'll get there in the end and the best of british luck
Big_Al_Smith

View user profile http://s279.photobucket.com/albums/kk127/bigalsmith_photos/

Back to top Go down

Elf

Post  DyNoRod on Wed Sep 29, 2010 1:11 pm

Bloody hell! Thats major!!!

If I had my time over, and were in your situation I would never have started with such a far gone car! You can buy a Hornet / Elf that alot better base car for not much money - and when you consider the time saved in welding, and hassle not to mention the nightmare that will be filling you really would save in the long run.

I know that probably not he PC view - however having been in a situation similar to yours (although even my car wasnt that far gone), I really wish I had paid out the £700 - £1000 to buy and start with a better body shell - it would have saved me months of hassle and lots of money!

However, all that said I think your really brave, keep up the good work - I do hate to see any Elf / Hornet scrapped so another saved is brilliant!

Chin up

Ad
DyNoRod

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Zef on Wed Sep 29, 2010 9:20 pm

Big_Al_Smith wrote:lots of work to do and it is officially worse than my own "rusty"!

keep at it and you'll get there in the end and the best of british luck

Yay, does that mean I get a prize.....most stupid car to start with prize Very Happy or Should have got something else prize. As you say I will get there just at a chicken and egg moment trying to think what to do first/next.
Zef

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Zef on Wed Sep 29, 2010 9:32 pm

DyNoRod wrote:Bloody hell! Thats major!!!

If I had my time over, and were in your situation I would never have started with such a far gone car! You can buy a Hornet / Elf that alot better base car for not much money - and when you consider the time saved in welding, and hassle not to mention the nightmare that will be filling you really would save in the long run.

I know that probably not he PC view - however having been in a situation similar to yours (although even my car wasnt that far gone), I really wish I had paid out the £700 - £1000 to buy and start with a better body shell - it would have saved me months of hassle and lots of money!

However, all that said I think your really brave, keep up the good work - I do hate to see any Elf / Hornet scrapped so another saved is brilliant!

Chin up

Ad

In my defense it didn't look that bad when I started. If I was starting over I'd have had it sand blasted first though. I'm aiming for the least ammount of filling possible and have, rather fortunately, someone who has experience in panel beating coming to help on Saturday.

Thanks for the words of encouragement I'll probably need more before I'm done, that and BEER to keep me sane Laughing
Zef

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  TONYELF on Thu Sep 30, 2010 12:48 am

Forget sandblasting, I doubt there would be anything left to weld to affraid

TONYELF
Admin

View user profile http://www.miniaddicts.co.uk

Back to top Go down

Post  Big_Al_Smith on Sat Oct 02, 2010 4:36 am

you could always try the old method of starting in one corner and working your way round the car 'til it's all done................
Big_Al_Smith

Back to top Go down

Post  asahartz on Sun Oct 03, 2010 5:00 pm

That car's certainly lived a hard life! But bad as it is, it's definitely savable, and there are few enough left that we need to save as many as we can.
asahartz

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Zef on Mon Oct 04, 2010 12:14 am

Well I'm feeling a bit better about it now I've got half the floor 2/3rds welded in. Took 2 of us to tack it in place and I nearly set my boots on fire but it fits. Will bang the pics up when I get chance. :-)
Zef

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Big_Al_Smith on Mon Oct 04, 2010 4:19 am

well done with persevering, but how do you set boots on fire? didn't think they were particularly flammable? Very Happy

(says he who has set fire to himself, a mattress, several blankets, rusty and the old mondeo.......... Rolling Eyes )
Big_Al_Smith

Back to top Go down

Post  Zef on Mon Oct 04, 2010 8:29 am

Lol Erm well the soles are flammable especially when you're holding the floor in with your feet while someone tack welds it in Very Happy Oh and the mattress has already gone up once and I now have 3 extinguishers close to hand.
Zef

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  asahartz on Mon Oct 04, 2010 8:42 pm

I always keep a spray water bottle to hand; set more than a few rags & such alight as well as two sets of overalls!
asahartz

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Big_Al_Smith on Tue Oct 05, 2010 4:19 am

Zef wrote:Lol Erm well the soles are flammable especially when you're holding the floor in with your feet while someone tack welds it in Very Happy Oh and the mattress has already gone up once and I now have 3 extinguishers close to hand.

might be time to invest in some welding clamps?.....
Big_Al_Smith

Back to top Go down

Post  Zef on Wed Jan 26, 2011 9:57 pm

Progress has been slow on this due to many other commitments. The good news is the Elf is now right way up so I can finish the welding to the a posts and put the floor cross member in. I'll also be able to put the roll cage in before fitting the outer sills.

With the fitting of the roll cage I'll be able to cut more rot away and finally reveal my master plan Muahahaha etc. As most of you are aware my Elf was very poorly and had quite substantial tin worm, so she's not going to ever be a concours or even original.

So now we come to the current plan, if this comes to fruition it should be at the very least fun. The engine is going to be swapped for something with a bit more go. To that end I'm leaning towards a 2000cc 16v RS2000 lump mounted where the patched up rear seat used to be. I had considered fitting this in the front but space is too limited.

Anyhoo just wanted to let you know my fiendish plan so you can lynch me on site Very Happy
Zef

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum