Ironic isn't it?

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Ironic isn't it?

Post  Red Riley on Sun Oct 03, 2010 4:12 am

So at an all British car show today, the VTEC Elf was totally snubbed. Not unexpected, as most of the attendees are shall we say, "purists" if not prudish. So no real surprise there. The ironic bit? This very nice '55 Minor walked away with the best in class as well as Best in Show honors. Completely deserving, as it is a beautiful car. It also sports a perfectly engineered and flawlessly executed late model TOYOTA engine conversion! Every spare bit of space in the engine bay is covered with authentic appearing Morris, Lucas, Speedwell, SU, and other badges, decal, labels, tags, etc. The "purists" were completely taken in, and could even be overheard in snippets of conversation with things like "this is the Speedwell Special Tuning option that was only available for this model year" and such like, while nodding knowingly. I don't begrudge the owner his win at all. I find it rather amusing that these folks with their tartan blankets and tea sets on display next to their Healeys and Jags were blissfully unaware that they were being taken for a stroll down the flowery path. I can just imagine their anguished disbelief when someone tells them that they were goggling over a "modified monstrosity."

Click here to see my latest project! . . . . . . . . . . . . . .Click on the banner above to see my photo gallery.
Red Riley
Admin

View user profile http://smartgraphicmedia.com/

Back to top Go down

Re: Ironic isn't it?

Post  asahartz on Sun Oct 03, 2010 4:46 pm

Interesting too to see the Mini next to your Elf bearing a 52 plate (late 2002) which no UK Mini would ever have worn!
asahartz

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Red Riley on Sun Oct 03, 2010 9:06 pm

asahartz wrote:Interesting too to see the Mini next to your Elf bearing a 52 plate (late 2002) which no UK Mini would ever have worn!

That Mini is owned by the original purchaser, who got the left hand drive car while stationed in Europe, I think Germany or Belgium, in 1967. I assumed that is where the reg plate comes from as well, but I can't say for certain.

Click here to see my latest project! . . . . . . . . . . . . . .Click on the banner above to see my photo gallery.
Red Riley
Admin

View user profile http://smartgraphicmedia.com/

Back to top Go down

Post  Big_Al_Smith on Mon Oct 04, 2010 4:25 am

Red Riley wrote:So at an all British car show today, the VTEC Elf was totally snubbed. Not unexpected, as most of the attendees are shall we say, "purists" if not prudish. So no real surprise there. The ironic bit? This very nice '55 Minor walked away with the best in class as well as Best in Show honors. Completely deserving, as it is a beautiful car. It also sports a perfectly engineered and flawlessly executed late model TOYOTA engine conversion! Every spare bit of space in the engine bay is covered with authentic appearing Morris, Lucas, Speedwell, SU, and other badges, decal, labels, tags, etc. The "purists" were completely taken in, and could even be overheard in snippets of conversation with things like "this is the Speedwell Special Tuning option that was only available for this model year" and such like, while nodding knowingly. I don't begrudge the owner his win at all. I find it rather amusing that these folks with their tartan blankets and tea sets on display next to their Healeys and Jags were blissfully unaware that they were being taken for a stroll down the flowery path. I can just imagine their anguished disbelief when someone tells them that they were goggling over a "modified monstrosity."

maybe you need to put a couple of riley/ cooper/ speedwell/ downton etc stickers in your engine bay? Very Happy

smart looking morris though i'm not sure about the trailer....
Big_Al_Smith

View user profile http://s279.photobucket.com/albums/kk127/bigalsmith_photos/

Back to top Go down

Post  asahartz on Mon Oct 04, 2010 8:40 pm

Red Riley wrote:
asahartz wrote:Interesting too to see the Mini next to your Elf bearing a 52 plate (late 2002) which no UK Mini would ever have worn!

That Mini is owned by the original purchaser, who got the left hand drive car while stationed in Europe, I think Germany or Belgium, in 1967. I assumed that is where the reg plate comes from as well, but I can't say for certain.

No, it's a 2002 UK plate. Definitely not Belgian (they have red text) or German (they're pressed steel).
asahartz

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top