Non Standard Colour

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Non Standard Colour

Post  evlin64 on Thu Jan 20, 2011 6:22 pm

Just wondering anyone have their car in a non standard colour?
What is the feeling on this?

Evlin will be going to paint-shop end of the month my original intention was to keep the standard Damask Red, I am now considering the Mulberry red that the Mini 40 is in, similar colour also the morello red that the coopers were in looks good with chrome ?

evlin64

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Non Standard Colour

Post  asahartz on Thu Jan 20, 2011 11:44 pm

Don't have a problem with it. My Elf (which started life in that coffee colour) is currently Vauxhall Flame Red. It's due for some extensive tlc, and this time I'm going to go for a dark blue, similar to that of Eduard Preiswerk's Elf (which also started its life coffee coloured!)
asahartz

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  superworm on Fri Jan 21, 2011 1:44 am

My opinion is that if your Elves/Hornets are absolutely Bog Standard as per original, then the "official colours" should be used for definite.

On the other hand, if your Elves (or Hornets) have deviated from standard over the years, as mine has (greatly - I've owned it for well over 40 years), then it doesn't really matter - go with your favourite!!!! (but ensure the body and roof colours are compatible).

At my Elfie's last restoration (circa 1985/7), I was offered 2 litres (maybe pints iirc) of Triumph Carmine Red which is what I used (as a typical penniless engineer, you look on gifts like that with enthusiasm!!) . Anyway the Carmine is not far removed from Damask Red only a tad lighter/brighter...I like it ...it shows up well on photographs. At its next restoration ( if I ever get a Round Tuit) I'll either revert to Damask Red or go for something super like Red Riley's machine which looks superb!!!

Cheers
superworm

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  evlin64 on Fri Jan 21, 2011 1:40 pm

Alan,

Totally agree if your car is bog standard should stay that way.

As Evlin had been modified by the previous owner and I have continued with the mods, my thinking is a similar colour to the Damask red but just that bit different to make it stand out.

Cheers

Lindsay

evlin64

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  asahartz on Fri Jan 21, 2011 9:40 pm

Yes and no. If you're aiming for concours, original colours of course. Otherwise, what does it matter? Minis and their derivatives have a proud tradition of modification.

My Elf is near-stock, even to the proper wheeltrims, but has an A+ motor and an alternator. Otherwise, bog-standard except for the colour.

The same applies to Eduard Preiswerk's Elf. Eduard is a well-respected Elf & Mini owner, but his car uses a non-original colour and looks good for it.

I don't want to force the debate either way. I like and respect original cars, I like modified cars too. Most of mine are original in spirit but every one is modified in some way. I don't think it matters. Just do it well.
asahartz

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  discoman41 on Fri Jan 21, 2011 10:31 pm

You could always go for the non standard Volcano Orange like Nick Ellis' car. He should be at Bromley all being well. Check out previous threads for Malvern Mini Show Oct 2009 (I think) He was on our stand then, (and won I believe) Reg is NPM.....

Jase
discoman41

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  steviem on Sat Jan 22, 2011 12:50 am

Your car, your style your choices Very Happy
steviem

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Big_Al_Smith on Sat Jan 22, 2011 9:33 pm

steviem wrote:Your car, your style your choices Very Happy

couldn't have put it better myself - it's more about saving the little cars than keeping everything factory fresh in my book Smile
Big_Al_Smith

View user profile http://s279.photobucket.com/albums/kk127/bigalsmith_photos/

Back to top Go down

Post  bmcelf on Sun Jan 23, 2011 7:09 am

I have always believed that you look at the car more than anyone else so it should be a color that you like.

That being said, when I received my car it was painted in a nonstandard BLACK. The heritage certificate says it should be brown/cream but I find blue over-spray in the hidden places all over the car. I would like an original color but I can accept any personal variations. My black car looks good enough me and the American eye. I can't yet justify a respray.

Jim

bmcelf

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Alex on Thu Jan 27, 2011 1:34 pm

Non-standard colours are like most things in life, a matter of personal choice. I've seen many different colours used over the years, some work some don't. I've never seen a black or bright red Elf work, and metallics are difficult to pull off as well. My newest shell has been painted Nightfire Red with a silver roof, and it looks awful - the sooner I can get it dipped the better.

If going away from a tried & trusted colour combination, see if you can get a Photoshop whizzkid to mock it up from a variety of angles before buying any paint...
Alex

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  asahartz on Thu Jan 27, 2011 9:42 pm

Alex wrote: I've never seen a black or bright red Elf work

As you say, personal choice. Mine's bright red with a white roof and I've always thought it looks fine. Except that I don't really like red cars - more because red paint never seems to keep its finish than anything I think.
asahartz

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  evlin64 on Thu Jan 27, 2011 9:47 pm

Thanks for the replies
Not completely made up my mind.
But my thinking is a similar colour combination but slightly different tones for a more original look.

Cheers

Lindsay

evlin64

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin on Thu Jan 27, 2011 10:24 pm

my elf is bog standard and is to remain that way for as long as i can keep it that way.

but will be repainted in modern colours as close to the original as i can get.
just my local paint stockists are terrible and cant get the same paint again.

Admin

View user profile http://www.elf-hornet-register.co.uk

Back to top Go down

Post  asahartz on Fri Jan 28, 2011 12:30 am

Admin wrote:my elf is bog standard and is to remain that way for as long as i can keep it that way.

but will be repainted in modern colours as close to the original as i can get.
just my local paint stockists are terrible and cant get the same paint again.

There are some good mail order paint suppliers about... jawel.co.uk and paint4u.com being two that I know of.
asahartz

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top